forum

[Archived] Can a bad soundcard be a cause of cursor slowdowns?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Amefuri Koneko
I get slight cursor slowdowns whenever I hit a circle, hold a slider or spinner. Whether I play with a tablet or mouse, I get this issue both on my laptop and stationary PC. I've tried everything to get rid of it, different resolutions, osu setting, Nvidia settings, tablet\mouse settings, different OS (XP, Win7, Win8).
Seems like the only thing in common left for my PC and laptop is shitty onboard Realtek soundcard. Could it even possibly be the cause of cursor lag? Or maybe some direct sound issue? I had a similar problem with stepmania when I switched to win7, arrows were choppy despite fps being high and stable, but unlike Osu it was working fine on Win XP.
I get cursor slowdowns whenever the hitsound plays, even in relax mode.
boat
No, the soundcard being the issue is highly unlikely. This is more likely an issue with the hardware that actually takes care of rendering the game, such as your CPU and GPU.

Windows 7 is slightly more demanding than XP is, which should explain the decrease in performance.

Keep all settings on the lowest, get rid of all eyecandy and run osu! fullscreen in a low resolution. If you insist on playing windowed, then try disabling aero.
Topic Starter
Amefuri Koneko
Well, I doubt it's a performance issue.
My specs are:
Intel Core i5 (3.3GHz)
Nvidia GTX 660ti (2GB)
8 GB DDR3 RAM

Aero is disabled, and besides WinXP doesn't have it at all. I already tried uncheking all Osu visual settings and different resolutions and renderers. No effect at all, except 60fps and OpenGL renderer making cursor even more laggy.
boat
Assuming you're using an i5 2500k or a newer model, it is incredibly unlikely that you're using a motherboard with a particularly bad on board soundcard.

Go and troubleshoot everything else that might cause this issue.

If the issue is with the very same mouse then perhaps look further into that, and make sure you're not playing with a framerate cap.