forum

Why is Taiko one of the least played modes?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Sugar_owo
I've just now realized whenever i go to multi or look up anything taiko related i rarley find anything, and that has me thinking. Why is taiko one of the least played game modes? It's very easy to get a global score in the 100,00's very fast, but why not in any of the other modes? I'm sorry if I sound stupid, i'm just wondering o~o
somebody_33
People just think taiko is less interesting than standard - this also applies to ctb/mania. BTW ctb has even less people on the leaderboard compared to taiko/mania/standard. Basically, here are all the gamemodes sorted by popularity (most popular to least popular): standard, mania, taiko, ctb.
This is a common question I get, even in discord. People would post why doesn't anyone play taiko. The US taiko server btw only has 200 people.
Akazukin-MK2
Taiko isn't an intuitive mode, mainly because Taiko was meant to be played with drums and two sticks, there is also the ugl- unsightly default skin that pushed many people away, the original TNT skin is more colorful and animated. Another reason I believe newbies can't get into Taiko is the lack of a default tutorial beatmap. Standard has a tutorial when you install osu! and mania doesn't really need one because it's much more intuitive and there're a lot of similar rhythm games in the west so it's easy to guess how to play. CTB is a very intuitive game mode too, there're many arcade games using the same gameplay concept, I can remember at least a couple of them from the arcade where I used to play in the past, not much guessing needed.
Topic Starter
Sugar_owo

somebody_33 wrote:

People just think taiko is less interesting than standard.
That makes lots of sense including everything else you said. thanks :>

Akazukin-MK2 wrote:

Taiko isn't an intuitive mode, mainly because Taiko was meant to be played with drums and two sticks, there is also the ugl- unsightly default skin that pushed many people away, the original TNT skin is more colorful and animated. Another reason I believe newbies can't get into Taiko is the lack of a default tutorial beatmap.
that makes more sense lol and yes the default skin is creepy as hell o - o

thanks both of you :D
Tedward765

Akazukin-MK2 wrote:

Taiko isn't an intuitive mode, mainly because Taiko was meant to be played with drums and two sticks, there is also the ugl- unsightly default skin that pushed many people away, the original TNT skin is more colorful and animated. Another reason I believe newbies can't get into Taiko is the lack of a default tutorial beatmap. Standard has a tutorial when you install osu! and mania doesn't really need one because it's much more intuitive and there're a lot of similar rhythm games in the west so it's easy to guess how to play. CTB is a very intuitive game mode too, there're many arcade games using the same gameplay concept, I can remember at least a couple of them from the arcade where I used to play in the past, not much guessing needed.
I would argue that even the default skin in standard isn't too easy on the eyes either although I feel like people just put of taiko and other gamemodes just because they can't be bothered to put in the effort into getting good all over again when they can just play something they are already good at.
SilverIvy
I think a lot of it is also that people don't really intend to play taiko or catch when they download osu. Most of the people who end up playing it just try it out for fun or play it on the side of standard. Taiko is kind of like speedrunning a side category of a popular game, like most people tend to just gloss over it but there's a small group of people who are super passionate for it.
dracobuster
I think most people don't even know theres anything other than standard tbh.
Nao Tomori
taiko causes a lot of peoples' eyes to hurt, causes screen tearing right on the playfield sometimes, stuff like that too.
[LS]PositoniX
all modes but standard can be considered the least played modes, mania used to almost be its own prospering gamemode though it (especially 7key) are basically on the same level as taiko or ctb these dats. ppy very clearly does not have as much of an interest in any of those gamemodes, as opposed to the number one attraction of osu, the standard gamemode.