forum

Looking for "mod" except I don't want it to be ranked -> not mod queue?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
pandabear123
Hi,

So I posted maybe a week ago to get myself started with my first maps. Well, I've created my first one (a normal, but IMO slightly easier than normal) map, but I don't really want it to be ranked, primarily because there are likely critical design flaws that would take ages for a newer mapper to resolve; I'm primarily interested in general feedback for how to improve, and then either kill the map, or do one more difficulty, then kill the map, then move on to a new song. I don't know if occupying mod's time to review a map I'm eventually going to kill is what I'm supposed to do ... what's the best course of action? Go to the mod queue anyway? Create another difficulty anyway? Post somewhere else?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I actually didn't do an anime song and mapped the original Legend of Zelda Overworld theme; seemed like that would be easy to time since the music was literally programmed. Not that this matters here.
DeletedUser_13957006
while feedback is somewhat important, you should focus on mapping things yourself to learn how everything works. there are also some good videos listed in this playlist that might help you with some things too.

i also love the fact that you aren't trying to rank your first map. a lot of new mappers share that mindset and when they discover it's much more complicated, they simply give up

edit: oops i accidentally avoided the question - i don't think modding queues is the absolute correct place to ask for feedback like this (since most maps there are going for rank and people don't like to waste time), but i can't really say there is a lot of options
Asphiee
There's a modder named Jiysea. I think he accepts not-for-ranked map
WitherMite
Usually people in the mod queues who say they are looking at newer mappers' stuff are expecting the map to never get ranked. Just read the rules of the queues and you should be able to find people willing to give you feedback there.
TheKingHenry
Yeah there are plenty of modding queues around that accept maps that may (or will) not get ranked anyways, so you can go around looking for those, just remember to always read the rules to see how it is

other than that you can for example try asking for feedback in the mapping/modding related chats in game