forum

is it worth it switching from ddkk to kddk?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
aramew
i've been playing ddkk since i got back into taiko a few months ago and it's the only playstyle i've been comfortable with. i've tried out kddk but i get so confused i cant even play a 2 star! D:

would it be worth my time to start learning kddk or should i stick with what i'm comfy with?

i've heard so many bad things about ddkk compared to kddk and i'm CONFLICTED
Akazukin-MK2
There're many top players using ddkk or kkdd so it's not like you won't have fun sticking to that choice but dkkd and kddk are technically the most efficient choices.

I'm no expert by any means and probably you already know this but anyways... although there're many index players using those 2 styles, the best way is with 4 fingers. In the case of index playstyle (so just 2 fingers) you've to swap between 2 buttons with your index. The other case is using 4 fingers and it's called full-alt when it's applied properly.

Full-alt consists of always switching hand for every circle. For example, a pattern like ddkdkkd using dkkd style is played like zvxvxcz if you're using default zxcv keys, with your index fingers for k and middle fingers for d. The only flaw of this style is spinners and dk or kd streams because you're forced to singletap but overall the pros outweigh the cons.

Still, to overcome those flaws some players learned to alt in a different way: zx vc zx vc. This method is much faster and less energy-consuming than singletapping, the issue comes when you are out of dk or kd streams and need to get back to normal full-alt style, for maps with hella long streams it can cause a miss unless you practiced a lot for specific streams.

In the end it all depends on your ambitions, are you aiming for TWC finals or playing casually?
Topic Starter
aramew

Akazukin-MK2 wrote:

There're many top players using ddkk or kkdd so it's not like you won't have fun sticking to that choice but dkkd and kddk are technically the most efficient choices.

I'm no expert by any means and probably you already know this but anyways... although there're many index players using those 2 styles, the best way is with 4 fingers. In the case of index playstyle (so just 2 fingers) you've to swap between 2 buttons with your index. The other case is using 4 fingers and it's called full-alt when it's applied properly.

Full-alt consists of always switching hand for every circle. For example, a pattern like ddkdkkd using dkkd style is played like zvxvxcz if you're using default zxcv keys, with your index fingers for k and middle fingers for d. The only flaw of this style is spinners and dk or kd streams because you're forced to singletap but overall the pros outweigh the cons.

Still, to overcome those flaws some players learned to alt in a different way: zx vc zx vc. This method is much faster and less energy-consuming than singletapping, the issue comes when you are out of dk or kd streams and need to get back to normal full-alt style, for maps with hella long streams it can cause a miss unless you practiced a lot for specific streams.

In the end it all depends on your ambitions, are you aiming for TWC finals or playing casually?
thank you for your reply! it helps out a lot <3
i think i'm planning on playing casually (not really a tourney person) but also i want to eventually be in 3 digit ranks.

i would also love to play high rating maps with those fun looking streams D: so i wasn't sure if the switch would be better for me.

hopefully this makes sense :D
Akazukin-MK2

aramew wrote:

thank you for your reply! it helps out a lot <3
i think i'm planning on playing casually (not really a tourney person) but also i want to eventually be in 3 digit ranks.

i would also love to play high rating maps with those fun looking streams D: so i wasn't sure if the switch would be better for me.

hopefully this makes sense :D
Glad to help. If you aren't aiming high for the immediate next future but still want to go high eventually, then I doubt there will be any problems using ddkk or kkdd, you'll just need to practice more later to fix the speed issue. From what I remember there're at least 2 ddkk players in top 500 and one is even in top 200, at least 2 among the few players I met in multi.

Don't forget to watch TWC when it starts later this month, you'll be able to see what the top players can do with their respective playstyles.