forum

Preparation time in Taiko, CtB and Mania

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +14
show more
Kitsunemimi
I sort of agree to this and I think I was going to request this at some point or something... but... some part of me is feeling that this isn't necessary.

Like, basically, you should only be pausing when it's really necessary (otherwise you take full responsibility if you mess up afterwards). And if it's necessary, it's actually not that hard to pause at a good moment, especially in CtB. Like, if you're good at it, it's really easy to pause and resume without messing up at all. Personally, I don't really mess up that much from pausing, and I don't think it's that big of a deal, so no support.
eldnl

MMzz wrote:

Why would you pause. lol

If you don't have the endurace to play the full song you probably shouldn't try, for the sake of your hands.
Then remove the pause button in all modes.
I support.
MMzz

eldnl wrote:

MMzz wrote:

Why would you pause. lol

If you don't have the endurace to play the full song you probably shouldn't try, for the sake of your hands.
Then remove the pause button in all modes.
I support.
^this

Restart hotkey plz.
Kurokami

Kitsunemimi wrote:

I sort of agree to this and I think I was going to request this at some point or something... but... some part of me is feeling that this isn't necessary.

Like, basically, you should only be pausing when it's really necessary (otherwise you take full responsibility if you mess up afterwards). And if it's necessary, it's actually not that hard to pause at a good moment, especially in CtB. Like, if you're good at it, it's really easy to pause and resume without messing up at all. Personally, I don't really mess up that much from pausing, and I don't think it's that big of a deal, so no support.
+1
theowest
You shouldn't be able to pause and then expect to play just as well as before in the middle of a difficulty.
The only solution is to pause during breaks and such if you do want your best try submitted.
Topic Starter
Stefan
Bump. Because it isn't discussed to the end. :p
Sakura
You seem to not understand what the "preparation time" on Standard is for.
Azure_Kite
That 'click to continue' button was made so that your cursor is in the same relative position when you resume the game. Otherwise, you would be able to jump miraculously by pausing and resuming at the next note.

This was actually possible in early builds of osu!, and that is why It's there. It's not a 'preparation time', as you think.
Mithos
I still don't like restarting 4+ minute taiko maps because I had to go feed a pet or take out garbage and my parents were not letting me wait for a break (which doesn't usually happen in taiko, authentic/difficult maps never have them). I resume from a splash screen back to the notes I didn't have saved in the photographic memory some people assume I should have in a rhythm game. I miss the notes because there is no count down or "Here have a second to look at the stream of dons and kats that are flying at you at 240 bpm" period.
theowest
Oh yeah. taikos don't usually have many breaks. Due to the lack of ranking guidlines and such.
But CtB do, since they're mostly just converted over from the osu difficulty.
Mithos
Taiko's ranking guidelines wouldn't include breaks anyways, seeing how sparse breaks are in authentic Taiko maps. The breaks you do get are roughly 3 seconds long maximum, instead of a full phrase of a song like osu! beatmaps. I don't know about CTB's need for a pause countdown because I never play it, but in osu!'s taiko, pausing during anything except a break is a guaranteed missed note if you had to leave the screen for whatever reason. Arcade Taiko has a little window that pops up over the main gameplay window, taking up about 75% of the screen. You can still see any notes on the two sides of the pause menu, and there is a tiny pause before the notes start scrolling again. In osu!, you have something that takes up 100% of the screen and the notes start as soon as the pause menu finished fading out.
Shadow
The idea is simple.

When you pause in the middle of a song (aka, someone distracting you, phone, whatever reason) and you want to go on with it, most of the time you can't get your hands back on the right keys when you un-pause.

It would be great if you can get your hands on the right keys and when you are ready to go on, press one of keys on the keyboard to continue the song.
Compa
Yes please. +1
karma_komodo
Very useful also on taiko
MillhioreF
Duplicate of t/82167 - it doesn't mention mania, but that's just because it's an old request.
Sorry about the wasted stars, but you shouldn't use them on requests before anyone has a chance to check for duplicates!
Shadow
I did search for it. But couldn't find anything.

Used wrong keywords I guess.

*Edit

Technically not a duplicate request, same idea, but this is for mania, not ctb/taiko.

*Edit 2

Reading though that thread it seem some of the concerns was cheating the scores, in this case, where mania uses a separate scoring system, this request might be more unique since people cant abuse it to farm top 40, or where in the cases Taiko maps doesn't have breaks.
Shadow
Great :3

*Edit

Maybe fix the OP with add Mania too

ex. Press space to continue.
MillhioreF
Wow, okay, somehow the stars kept after the merge! Everything went better than expected.
theowest

MillhioreF wrote:

Wow, okay, somehow the stars kept after the merge! Everything went better than expected.
I'm pretty sure both the title and stars are kept if you merge from the newer topic.
VelperK

MMzz wrote:

Why would you pause. lol

Because sometimes you realize that you're not in a bubble and an external situation may occur that could affect the continuation of your gameplay.
Rokk
I support, especially in Taiko. But would be nice in CtB too. Not everyone has the luxury of not having to deal with the bane of all Marathon players: Other people wanting something from you.
Topic Starter
Stefan
Huh.. interesting how this got bumped. o.o"

At all, I think it should be a Toggle at least.