forum

More reasonable Kiai standards [added]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
TheVileOne
I think both kiai guidelines reported by Aimod are unrealistic and do not reflect what is actually acceptable in maps that are ranked. I find these warnings to be misleading if anyone paid attention to them. If you don't know what I'm talking about it's the messages that AiMod makes when either a kiai section is too close to another kiai section or when there is too much kiai in a map.

These might have been reasonable in the past, but most TV Sized maps with kiai violate these standards, and if your song has more than one kiai section it will most likely violate one or both of these standards. I can't even call them guidelines as a large majority of maps get ranked that have kiai sections that don't live up to these standards. Check for yourself.

In order to make these standards more reasonable and accurate to today's standards, they need to be less strict. 1/4th kiai only gives 22.5 seconds of kiai to a map with a drain time of 1:30. From the map's I've seen it is much more common for maps to have over 25% kiai. Mappers really have no choice sometimes. The length and number of choruses in a song determine kiai usage, and breaktime further limits the window for kiai. I think increasing the limit from 1/4th of a map to 40% of a map would be more than reasonable.

Draintime--Kiai allowed(sec)
--1:30------------36
--1:20------------32
--1:10------------28

This would accommodate two kiai sections for a TV sized map at least 14 seconds each.

The second standard is even more unrealistic. It assumes that all maps must have at least a minute between kiais. Mappers cannot choose where kiai goes. Unless your song has a very brief chorus or it's at least 3 minutes long, it's likely going to violate this rule if it has more than two kiais set. You might as well just say the standard is You must have one kiai section if your map is less than 3 minutes long.

1 minute is highly unrealistic for any map. It's supposed to identify incorrect kiai usage. It fails at doing this by creating so many false positives, modders can't use this. It should be restricted to 15-30 seconds. The lower this number is set to, the more accurate and useful this standard becomes. 15 seconds will create false positives. Most incorrect kiai usage is within 15 seconds. If you go beyond 15 seconds, I doubt you could call it abuse.

If you wanted it to be even more accurate. breaktime should count towards the total time allowed for kiai. Kiai is song dependent, not playtime dependent. It should be compared against the song as a whole, rather than the parts that are actually played (and also because kiai can also last through breaks, which can potentially cause inconsistencies).

Also if AiMod is going to mention these things, please make sure that there is a written guideline that backs up such claims. There is nothing that disallows you to have a certain amount of kiai in your map. The current rule is insufficient and only used for violations much more severe than AiMod points out.

Please clear this up so it might actually be useful.
Low
woc is working on making heavy changes to AIMod at the moment. expect improvements with this in the near future.
woc2006
added