forum

[Archived] OBS Recording is lagging

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
rainerzufahl

Problem details:

I'm trying to record my osu! gameplay with OBS Studio, v26.1.0. For this I am using a game capture set to explicitely hook into the osu.exe. The game is running on a 2560x1080 200Hz Monitor with 500-800 fps during gameplay, no matter if OBS is closed, running or recording. OBS should be set to record in 25fps (a clean divider from the 200Hz).
It is very important that the game itself is NOT lagging like in many other forum posts I've come across. Only the OBS capture is affected. The lag is apparent in the OBS window itself as well as the recording.

Things I've tried

1. Disable "Use Device Timestamps" in the Audio Device
  2. Disabling unneeded Audio inputs in OBS
  3. Changing the Encoder, as well as the settings (bitrate, keyframe interval etc). I don't think this can be the issue as the problem already occurs in the OBS window and not only in the recording
  4. Using a screen recording
  5. Changing the Display refresh rate to 60Hz and recording in 30fps. While this helped slightly it was an unenjoyable experience and will not be a solution
  6. Made sure that both OBS and osu! are running on the GPU (it says "GPU 0" in the Task Manager so I took that as confirmation)
  7. Disable NVIDIA Shadowplay Overlay, as well as Windows Game Overlay thing and Discord Overlay
  8. Change all of the Game Recorder options 1 by 1
  9. Made sure that my recording scene only contains that one game capture and nothing else
  10. Checked the Logs for any errors - there are none
  11. All the different framerate limiter options in osu
  12. Compability mode in osu
The only "solution" I found was recording in 50fps, which reduces the lag to "nearly invisible". But I have friends who are recording with 25fps and their recordings feel about as smooth as mine

I'm running a Ryzen 1600X CPU + RTX 2070 Super GPU. This setup can record and even stream other games without this issue, so there must be some kind of problem with this exact combination.

Please let me know if you have any other ideas what I could try. If needed I can upload a short recording that shows the lag.

osu! version: Stable 20201229.2 (latest)
OutShots
having the same problem rn u found a fix?
Topic Starter
rainerzufahl

OutShots wrote:

having the same problem rn u found a fix?
Sadly, no. I've just settled for recording osu! with 60fps. Interestingly enough, even when I take the 60fps smooth video and transcode it down to 30fps, it has visible stuttering, which isnt the case for any other game.