forum

Post-Impressionism

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Jarby
Post-Impressionism (also spelled Postimpressionism) is the term coined by the British artist and art critic Roger Fry in 1910 to describe the development of French art since Manet. Fry used the term when he organized the 1910 exhibition Manet and the Post-Impressionists. Post-Impressionists extended Impressionism while rejecting its limitations: they continued using vivid colours, thick application of paint, distinctive brush strokes, and real-life subject matter, but they were more inclined to emphasize geometric forms, to distort form for expressive effect, and to use unnatural or arbitrary colour.

So, when we think of Post-Impressionism, these are the sorts of works that come to mind:

Please discuss your favourite artists and pieces from the period in this thread.
Moriya Suwako
I think when one says Post-Impressionism, the first painting comes into my mind is <Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte> by Georges Seurat.
Well, personally I love expressonism best, but I somehow love Post-Impressionism, too.

↑Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte
Aeidxst
Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec.

Kingkevin30
bumping....

i found a really nice album cover of the Group "Cinématique"... and sorry if it isn't really post-impressionism
maybe its not from that time period but it has a really nice style to it with the mirrored street lights
Wizard Of Orz
post impressionism and impressionism are my favorite types of art ; o;. one of my personal favorite paintings is the Mulberry Tree by Van Gogh. the thick brush strokes and the coloring captivate me. I was lucky enough to view this piece in person at the Norton Simon. unfortunately every picture of this painting online is shit.