forum

Long color combos

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
l1mi
Hi, im just curious. Did something happen in the mapping scene, anyone involved who can explain for the ignorant mass whats been going on with the NC recently?

Yes I know long color combos been used before, thats not an argument or a reason to use it but if you know the idea behind using very long color combos then please do explain. (There must be some kind of thought behind it) Its more than one map in a short time so I figured something is going on.

I pray some sensible person stop this madness because im too lazy and dont know how to fix my skin. 20 Combo = 81 or 8 1 for me and the numbers are placed over the edge on the circles it looks very bad.
lewski
get over yourself and fix your skin lol

this is entirely your own problem
Zelzatter Zero
You can just go to skin.ini file and change the value in the HitCircleOverlap line lol.

It's not our fault that we want to use long combo as long as it represents the song.
Topic Starter
l1mi

lewski wrote:

get over yourself and fix your skin lol

this is entirely your own problem
I cant be alone to have the problem.

But even if I fix the skin, a color combo that pass over +4 meassures just to change for 1/4th of a meassure and then go back to the previous color is rather extreme. It reminds me of when youre mapping something, copy paste a section and then randomly mess up the color combo.

Or.. when you copy paste some parts so they end up as a perfect overlap and then think it looks really cool and use that as a mapping techniqe instead of actually placing the notes somewhere. Im sure every mapper done this at some point.

Zelzatter Zero wrote:

You can just go to skin.ini file and change the value in the HitCircleOverlap line lol.

It's not our fault that we want to use long combo as long as it represents the song.
That sounds interesting I think we are getting closer to an answer here. What in a song makes a long color combo represent the music well?

Also, im going to try to change that.
lewski
im pretty sure most people have skins that aren't broken

When a song has a part that sort of feels like a single pattern, having one combo over that part tends to make sense. It's pretty vague since there are usually lots of perfectly valid ways to NC a certain part of a song, depending on both the map and the mapper's preferences. fwiw I've seen super few maps with those 4+ measure combos you mentioned, but songs that fully support 2 measure combos are super common.

It's also good to note that the logic behind the NC usage of a lot of people is pretty disconnected from the number of notes in a combo. One pattern in a song might have 4 notes and another might have 16, and both of them could still be a single measure long; denser songs just naturally end up with higher combo numbers in equally long combos.