forum

Custom Skins in Song Sections

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
YellowerYoshi
Well, this whole idea stemmed from something I wanted to do for a beatmap I'm working on. The general idea is that there could be a feature for mappers to use custom skins per sections they define, meaning in the first half of the song they may use a certain type of hitbeat or slider while in another part they may want to use a different style.

This could go in the Timing Setup Window under the Style Tab, where Kiai currently is. I feel it could open up a lot more design opportunities for mappers, if used correctly. Of course, if it's used way too much it could make the beatmap tacky, so designers would have to use it well.
LuigiHann
My suggestion would be for the ability to enable or disable custom skinning on a per-section basis. So while you couldn't have multiple custom skins, the custom skinning could be turned on and off in different sections for effect.
peppy
My opinion is: no.
K2J
Yeah, I think this could have the potential for confusion on the part of the player to be looking for one type of hitcircle or whatever and find something different instead. Any non-gameplay essential stuff could probably be done with some creative storyboarding.
An64fan
Your topic title is very misleading, and makes me think that maps should change the appearance of the song selection menu while they're selected. :?

Anyways, I agree that I don't like this idea very much. Maybe having different combo colours per section (this would be useful especially for some marathons and collabs I think) although I don't think anything so drastic as new skinning altogetehr would be a good idea.
Topic Starter
YellowerYoshi
Perhaps I should explain my idea so you can better know the purpose of the request.

I want to map the Stone Tower Temple theme from Majora's Mask. My plan is to have the normal version play, storyboard a middle section of the tower flipping, then go into the inverted version, which is where this crazy request came in. I wanted to have the inverted section use backwards combo numbering like Counting You Up, which isn't possible yet.

So maybe I should have phrased the request a bit different, but I'm not really sure how you would go about doing something like this, since it *is* a skinning element.