forum

What are your thoughts on the use of Emulators?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Akumace1
So some of you nintendo fans have heard the popular Super Smash Bros. tournament The Big House has been cancelled after Nintendo of America sent a cease and desist letter to its organisers because they used illegal copies of the game.

Do you think this is fair? Does Nintendo have the right to do this? Anything else to add about emulators unrelated this this event? I'd love to hear!

What is an emulator? An emulator is typically a program that lets you run software from a completely different device on your computer. The most common uses for emulators are to play video games and run different operating systems — for example, you can put a Mac operating system on your Windows computer. Or play old console games on your computer.
Phantonym
Well, i use emulators for playing GBA and NDS games, and i think its should be legal as long you own the original copy of the game.

but still, i downloaded all the games illegally from rom download sites ._.
sadave
Yes Nintendo has every right to cancel the smash tournament

Nintendo is just a business, and all businesses strive to protect their profits
Mentee
Bluestacks (which is yes, it's a emulator), I use it for some Android Games that I would of played anyways on my phone, but considering that I find it better to play on a bigger screen and with a keyboard/mouse, I tend to use it here and there.
Winnyace
not really into Smash, but I'm into old games and the easiest way to play them is through emulators. they're much more convenient than buying the old console and cartridges/discs, much less expensive and beneficial for everybody. players have an easy way to play the classics, the companies that made it and are still around attract new fans with their old creations. it's a win-win situation.
animeslayergp
i think they can be really cool,i played pokemon fire red on my phone using a emulator
Nuuskamuikkunen
AFAIK, in the US it's perfectly legal to dump original copies of your games as long it's just for personal use, including for emulation.
Emulation isn't illegal in most countries either.
LimeTwist
I think emulators are fine mostly
Dooge
It's not like Nintendo are making any money off of melee anymore anyway. It's a 20 year old game, so I see no issue.

Nameless
Couldn't give less of a fuck how you play your games. Emulate them, play them on native hardware, not my problem
I prefer to emulate where I don't have the native hardware because I don't have the space in my dorm for much. Also student budget
Sugar_owo

Nameless wrote:

Couldn't give less of a fuck how you play your games. Emulate them, play them on native hardware, not my problem
I prefer to emulate where I don't have the native hardware because I don't have the space in my dorm for much. Also student budget
Agreed. They basically said what i would have said.