forum

adjustments to #osu [invalid]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +8
Topic Starter
Wubwubwub
I was sitting in #osu one day realizing just how often people have to be told to move channels due to their language. So I thought of an idea (two actually) to curb this:

1. Put a language filter in osu to only allow english (roman) characters. This will cut down on the asian/russian/other various non-roman character using language referrals.

OR

2. Since there's no #english and #osu is english only and essentially serves the same purpose as other language channels, why not make #osu into #english. This isn't meant to exclude people since anyone who talking in #osu currently obviously can speak english and could continue to do so. This change would make it more clear what the channel is for. Also, I'm not sure if bancho automatically opens the most likely language tab of your country (because mine would be english anyways) or not but that could be added to assist this function.

Addition courtesy of Nostalgia: When they pick a language in for the client or a language tab to keep open (assuming bancho doesn't do it for them as mentioned above) it remembers it.
Ohrami
NO
Topic Starter
Wubwubwub
have any specific reasons? no is so vague
deadbeat

Wubwubwub wrote:

1. Put a language filter in osu to only allow english (roman) characters. This will cut down on the asian/russian/other various non-roman character using language referrals.
no. i don't see a need for this.

Wubwubwub wrote:

2. Since there's no #english and #osu is english only and essentially serves the same purpose as other language channels, why not make #osu into #english. This isn't meant to exclude people since anyone who talking in #osu currently obviously can speak english and could continue to do so. This change would make it more clear what the channel is for. Also, I'm not sure if bancho automatically opens the most likely language tab of your country (because mine would be english anyways) or not but that could be added to assist this function.
t/118076

Kitokofox wrote:

When players get an account on osu! and then get the game, they will likely be browsing the website in their own language. So, when they install osu!, they should be granted with a language selection if it hasn't been before, on the installation. Then, on installing, osu! defaults it's language to whatever the user chose. And, upon connection to Bancho, the user should be defaulted to their own channel as specificed by the language setting in their osu!, additionally being greeted by the welcome message in their language, upon which they can understand. In #osu, the welcome message is in their language, but it tells them that there is a channel specific to their language and that it's proper rules to chat their instead. This language setting in osu! of course can be changed at any time.
Seph

Wubwubwub wrote:

I was sitting in #osu one day realizing just how often people have to be told to move channels due to their language. So I thought of an idea (two actually) to curb this:

Wubwubwub wrote:

Addition courtesy of Nostalgia: When they pick a language in for the client or a language tab to keep open (assuming bancho doesn't do it for them as mentioned above) it remembers it.

yeah, no.
dkun
Point 1: Let the moderators do their job. We have our responsibilities to direct newcomers that don't speak English to their specified channels if they choose to do chat. This is normal, it doesn't hurt to ignore a few lines. If a person is repeatedly putting a foreign language into the chat, then use the report function. That's what it's there for.

Point 2: #osu = #english. It's self-explanatory.

No-go, nice try though. :p
deadbeat
i think there's enough to close this now. feel free to reply if you don't agree. if you do reply, please explain why you still think this request is valid :)