forum

Let people choose which slider they want to map with [duplicate]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Cancel
Hi. Another idea

The sliders that are used to map beatmaps are cool and all, but I really want to have the oldskool mapping feeling back. For example:

If you click on the slidericon (that bar with the select tool) , a question box (I don't know how to call it, or that thing that asks you if you really want to exit osu!) pops up to ask you what sliderstyle you want to map with. You can choose what style you want, if you tap the * button (on the Numpad). I think this is a better way of mapping with sliders. But like my other ideas failed, I think this one will fail too :(
theowest
I don't think we want to go backwards in slider advancement. I don't see how this feature would be useful or could replace our current sliders at all.
TheVileOne
I fully agree with this even though I acknowledge that it's already been denied. If peppy isn't going to enforce centering the end point with the slider end, then really there is no benefit for using one slider type over the other. Beginners will use the easier symmetrical form, while the experience mappers will prefer the older method. I don't see how this would lower the quality of sliders or even be a step backwards in progression.

Actually if peppy hasn't fixed this new add a point to an already existing slider nonsense, we're currently regressing. Because it's annoying having to delete extra slider points because you want a curve instead of a straight slider or your heart/spiral needs extra points.

I think it would be better to please everyone than force everyone to adapt to a style that they don't like. It's as simple as adjusting a single character in the .osu, so adding this change would be very easy to implement. It would have a high return rate of user satisfaction as compared to the ease of implementation. I can't imagine anyone arguing why it should not happen.

peppy's defense for not having a toggle is that it allows you to do the same things as bezier only better. The downside to this is new slider is the fact that it doesn't have an official name (kidding). The downside is that creating perfect symmetry can be unintuitive (perfect symmetry indicates a point that is not centered where the end is), and it kind of suggests a singular way to map a curve type. A single curve type that has one type of blanket. People will map using sliders that easily fit together. The new curve type restricts the types of blankets that can be made in certain cases. Instead of adding a fourth point (which will now break your slider), it is easier to just adjust the curve to the easy to blanket version instead of the more appealing, but harder to blanket version.

This is the problem. I think there should be a method of creating beatmaps that is suitable for more advanced mappers. Experienced mappers don't use distance snap most of the time and some of them don't use grid snap. I wouldn't recommend a newbie mapper to turn off distance snap outside of an insane. I think sliders should be treated the same way. Advanced mappers should be able to have a larger degree of slider manipulation. We should have the option to remove the safety rails off our slider design. The admins shouldn't be dictating what a nice slider/map is. It is a rather bold claim to say that one type of symmetry is better than another type of symmetry, and I don't think the admins should be interfering with a modder's job by suggesting one type of symmetry over all other options.

I'll just add this final note to address a possible counter for my view. Adding 4 or more points to a small slider is not only overly complicated compared to the old way of doing it, it's simply unnecessary and often creates flat points in the slider if you don't have 5-6 points distributed across the slider. Unless we had a way to equally distribute control points across a slider, this is not the way most experienced mappers like to create their maps. That is a different suggestion though.