forum

Just got a GIGABYTE FORCE M7

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Espionage724
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/produc ... id=4312#ov

Got it for $20, which seems pretty awesome for this kind of mouse. I'm completely new when it comes to DPI changing and so far I'm wondering why I would even want to change it, but in any case it's a nice feature to have I suppose.

I was looking for some advice on optimal settings and practice, although for the most part this is probably stuff I'll have to fine-tune on my own.

I play osu! at 1600x900 fullscreen, keep Windows mouse setting at 6/11 no enhanced precision, and in-game at 1.0 sensitivity. I can change my mouse DPI to any 3 states of user-specified DPI levels ranging from 400-3200 (in increments of 400; so 800, 1600, etc. are also available). I think I'm taking a liking to 1600 DPI, but not entirely sure yet.

I'm also a mouse/keyboard user, just can't imagine using only mouse just yet.
Winshley
You might want to set the speed to where you're accustomed to (if you want to play using the mouse as how you play with your old mouse). But if you wanna experiment stuff though, then go ahead. ;)

The DPI adjustment might be useful if you want to score a bunch of spinner bonuses if you spin throughout the whole screen. That's what I usually do.
Kanye West
Not sure if you needed a new thread for this but how do you grip that? The shape looks weird.
Loves
Claw Grip ftw :P

I use osu 1x, windows 6/11 and acceleration off. I'd also prefer a hard mousemat.
djjsixpack
The general consensus is lower DPI is better to a point. Most mouse users use 800-1000. I use 1000. I think kriers uses 850, Silvia used 1000 etc.

Other than that, the other general stuff. 1x osu setting, 6/11 acceleration, no pointer precision.
TakuMii
Most mice used to come in 400dpi, and that's probably the lowest you should go (any lower than that could hamper your agility). Your mouse probably has positive acceleration, which might cause some issues with using a lower sensitivity (you might need to lift the mouse once in a while to recenter it). But it's usually more benefit to go on a lower DPI no matter what mouse you're using. It could take a week to get used to, but it's worth it.

djjsixpack wrote:

The general consensus is lower DPI is better to a point. Most mouse users use 800-1000. I use 1000. I think kriers uses 850, Silvia used 1000 etc.
Kriers uses 600 (IIRC he was using 450dpi until someone pointed out he was actually at 7/11)
kriers

YayMii wrote:

Kriers uses 600 (IIRC he was using 450dpi until someone pointed out he was actually at 7/11)
I used 450 dpi 6/11 but the mouse settings on my new mouse driver forced 7/11 on my new 400 dpi setting. I couldn't really tell because I had been stuck with tablet for over a month, but switched to 600 dpi and 6/11 because I was already used to it now anyway.

400 dpi 7/11 equals 600 dpi 6/11
Topic Starter
Espionage724
I had a friend ask me what the polling rate of this mouse was (it's 1000MHz), and he said:

In that case, the only explanation is for the mouse to have severe interpolation, with DPI emulation around 2200, which is massive.

Given that you play at medium-low resolutions, I strongly recommend you to have a DPI setting below 1600 in order for the sensor not to add bogus read data and provide you with what the sensor is actually capable off.
Currently, I have my 3 DPI profiles at 400, 800, and 1200. 800 seems to be fine for everything, but with osu! I feel slightly more comfortable with 1200 (not "entirely" though, I still kind of overshoot beats occasionally). I haven't used 400 at all (I tried it with osu! but I'm not used to having to move my mouse around "far" I think).

This is with the default 6/11 in Windows as well, and 1.0 in osu!. Should I try lowering my DPI and increasing the sensitivity in Windows?
TakuMii
Never change the sensitivity in Windows. It should always be 6/11 with precision turned off, otherwise it'll cause pixeljumping or will add cursor acceleration (which you don't want). Same goes for increasing the sensitivity in osu!, which should stay at 1.0x.
Also, I'd probably avoid 1000Hz, as it causes the mouse to be overly sensitive to the surface of your mousepad/desk and possibly cause some inaccuracies. The second highest (which is probably 500Hz) shouldn't feel too different from 1000Hz and will avoid this problem.
Topic Starter
Espionage724

YayMii wrote:

Never change the sensitivity in Windows. It should always be 6/11 with precision turned off, otherwise it'll cause pixeljumping or will add cursor acceleration (which you don't want). Same goes for increasing the sensitivity in osu!, which should stay at 1.0x.
Also, I'd probably avoid 1000Hz, as it causes the mouse to be overly sensitive to the surface of your mousepad/desk and possibly cause some inaccuracies. The second highest (which is probably 500Hz) shouldn't feel too different from 1000Hz and will avoid this problem.
Hmm, well the thing with my DPI is, it can only be changed (unless there's some unofficial way to do it) in increments of 400. So I can only go from 400 to 800 to 1200 to 1600 and so on, but I can't go to 500, 900, etc. :/
TakuMii
If you stay at only one DPI setting, you'll get used to it much faster. It makes no sense sacrificing precision in order to get an unusual sensitivity.