forum

Hall of fame for older maps.

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
qlum
I personally find the newer system for ranking having quite a big drawback and that is that old maps that are still very much great are mostly ignored in favor of quite often mediocre newer maps. I would suggest some sort of hall of fame for the best older maps to make those good old ones count.

One way of making such a hall of fame is by voting just like with the best of 2012 and 2011 but this time you can vote for all the ranked maps ever made for osu! as long as they are at least 12 months old. Those 100 maps may be re voted at any time and can change dynamically with votes being changed and new votes being added. the maps themselves are weighted for pp as if they where new maps. Alternatively it could change on a monthly or yearly basis to prevent maps that where counted before are suddenly gone the next day.
Bittersweet
I was going to give you my star, but youre not talking about really old maps, just maps of last year, and i dont agree with this voting system :( But gl with that.
deadbeat
mmmmm....i think something like this should be discussed a bit more.
  1. how old do the maps have to be
  2. ranked only or unranked as well
  3. how will people find them
  4. how many votes per person
neutral about this at the moment. i might change my mind later depending on what other people think about this idea
TheVileOne
Eh I don't think this is all that needed. I mean older maps will still be downloaded. I would rather prefer older maps be ignored, because it reduces the likelihood of pros crowding out the leaderboards with their mod usage. The good maps are still distributed through multiplayer, and a few bad ones as well. I tend to spread the old maps around at least.
Topic Starter
qlum

Bittersweet wrote:

I was going to give you my star, but youre not talking about really old maps, just maps of last year, and i dont agree with this voting system :( But gl with that.
First of all I like to keep details vague as it is mostly up to the ones who may or may not implement it but I said maps that are at least 12 months old so with that I mean anything from 12 months old back to the very first map on osu!.

deadbeat wrote:

neutral about this at the moment. i might change my mind later depending on what other people think about this idea
at least 1 year old at least should be fair considering that is also the time you gain points in the new ranking system and it is also what is used by best of all time lists with music.

I just logically thought ranked since it is meant to be applied to rankings.

The bottom two are really up to the implementing who would implement such a thing.

TheVileOne wrote:

Eh I don't think this is all that needed. I mean older maps will still be downloaded. I would rather prefer older maps be ignored, because it reduces the likelihood of pros crowding out the leaderboards with their mod usage. The good maps are still distributed through multiplayer, and a few bad ones as well. I tend to spread the old maps around at least.
I just find that some of the great old stuff outside of multi player just gets to little attention, sure score boards will be crowded with pro's but on most of those maps they have already been so years ago. I do however get your point and just disagree with it. I for one just ignore the new ranks altogether and still focus on my good old rank as I am a completionist and not someone who goes for high scores.
deadbeat

qlum wrote:

deadbeat wrote:

at least 1 year old at least should be fair considering that is also the time you gain points in the new ranking system and it is also what is used by best of all time lists with music.
i disagree. if something like this is to be added, i'd rather have maps only before 2010
theowest
I'm not sure best maps charts/lists from 2007 to 2009 exists. Maybe revote for these and create a list of the best old maps?
TheVileOne

theowest wrote:

I'm not sure best maps charts/lists from 2007 to 2009 exists. Maybe revote for these and create a list of the best old maps?
https://osu.ppy.sh/p/packlist?t=t <There's certainly a Best of xxxx pack.
theowest

TheVileOne wrote:

theowest wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/p/packlist?t=t <There's certainly a Best of xxxx pack.
I doubt everyone got to vote on those beatmaps. I think we should try and have a second try at voting for the best old maps, now that we have played newer maps too.
Wishy
I doubt it will make any sense to make a best of 2007/2008/2009 since not only most maps are (face it) too bad, but lots of players from that time don't play anymore, and even if they did they won't really remember many maps.
Topic Starter
qlum

Wishy wrote:

I doubt it will make any sense to make a best of 2007/2008/2009 since not only most maps are (face it) too bad, but lots of players from that time don't play anymore, and even if they did they won't really remember many maps.
2007/first half 2008 has quite a big percentage bad maps but later there is quite a lot of good stuff as well, Also just because your not from the time doesn't mean you didn't have the pleasure of enjoying those maps. There are still quite a few people with 100% completion on all maps so I guess that doesn't really apply here. I do think reading some of the above posts that maybe a year to year list instead of a general list would be better but I would say 2007 doesn't have that much good stuff.
The style of the maps was different back in the early years but to say they where all shit, no I wouldn't think that.