forum

Local beatmap settings reset after "Save as New Difficulty" [confirmed]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
TheVileOne
Explain the issue you are having:
I'm really getting annoyed by this issue, and it's about time it was resolved. More often than not if I leave a beatmap I'm modding to update to latest version it checks for new beatmaps for no reason and that resets my position in the beatmap. Beatmap saving is not very stable, as it regular requires a new beatmap check, and that erases any editor settings you may have had in the map.

Is it reproducible? If so, explain the steps to do so:
I think so. There are a couple things that I do that cause it to happen 2 out of 3 times.

1. Open a difficulty in the editor
2. Save as new difficulty and go through that process. You will now be in the new difficulty.
3. Back out to song select
4. Reenter original difficulty.
5. Visual settings are reset, and position on the timeline is reset to 0:00:000.

Alternate way

It tends to randomly happen just by making changes to a beatmap (testplaying may or may not be necessary) and then leaving.
theowest
Just replicated this.

The difficulty is essentially reset as if you just downloaded and opened the latest version of the difficulty. I quickly noticed that my position and skin.ini properties ("ignore skin") got reset/recalculated.
I can see how this can be bothersome, but I feel like it's almost expected in a way. You're creating a new difficulty in the mapset, I would almost forgive osu! when this is happening. I usually never expect a beatmap to remember the position/settings and such for me when leaving it. Then again, it must be pretty annoying to have it reset like this is when you work with many beatmaps.

Now what I truly wonder is when Distance spacing and such settings are kept throughout editing beatmaps. When are they reset?
Topic Starter
TheVileOne
It doesn't happen only because of this. If I testplay something too many times, it tends to happen. It just happens consistently through this method. I'm still looking for the second cause for it to happen. It might have something to do with undoing changes or maybe its not saving a particular object change or changing the distance snap. It could be anything triggering it.
peppy

TheVileOne wrote:

6. Go to the edit menu
Do you mean File -> Open Difficulty?
MillhioreF
I think he means backing out to the edit mode song select maybe?
theowest

MillhioreF wrote:

I think he means backing out to the edit mode song select maybe?
yep!
Topic Starter
TheVileOne
That part doesn't matter. If you switch back through Open difficulty, it's the same thing. Leaving to edit menu will just trigger the recalculation.
Topic Starter
TheVileOne
Found another way to trigger it.

Remove,add,or rename an audio file in the song folder will force recalculate a map with changes made to it.
MillhioreF
To make this more clear: saving a beatmap as a new difficulty will reset all map-specific settings of the original difficulty, including editor position and visual settings.
Topic Starter
TheVileOne
This problem doesn't happen only because of this. I can't replicate the other triggers consistently. This tends to happen if I modify slider points a certain way. I can never replicate after it happens though, but I'm positive it has something to do with interacting with sliders in the editor that causes this to randomly happen.
Topic Starter
TheVileOne
Why is this resolved? It still happens.

I have additional information. The local beatmap settings for the entire mapset get removed when the detecting new difficulties message appears. This is inconvenient because the game can detect new difficulties randomly.