forum

is breaking the constraints of the editor by changing game files forbidden?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
gummibar
no, i don't despise osu!'s current editor. i am just trying to do something which the osu editor has no reason to support, which is to say that i'm trying to find a way to easily map slider distortions. i want to be able to edit slider nodes that are extremely far offscreen, which would involve adding a teensy weensy custom resolution (pretty easy, windows already has ways to run the game in resolutions not supported in the settings and osu! just loads these as custom) and then somehow adjusting the letterbox so that it renders everything past this resolution as well (you can probably tell by my very poor wording that i have no idea how this would be done without significant tampering, and that i have no idea how to go about that tampering either).

the only thing i could find that somewhat represents my intentions is pishifat describing a very off screen slider. https://youtu.be/edotqxG-3So?t=34. imagine something similar but it's in the editor instead, replace pishifat's hand with my mouse cursor, and that sliderend with a slider node that i'm pushing around with said mouse cursor to make funny aspire techniques. perfect analogy.

if this was even possible, would it be allowed? i have no intention to use modifications like these while connected to bancho, but would i still be breaching the ToS anyway by just using these offline?
DeletedUser_13957006
using tools to make edits to maps in the editor isn't even against the TOS (look at aspire for example). that being said, there are a lot of tools out there to help mapping. as far as i know, there isn't any tools to specifically edit slider nodes off-screen. there might be one, you just need to search for it.
Topic Starter
gummibar

Blackeei wrote:

using tools to make edits to maps in the editor isn't even against the TOS (look at aspire for example). that being said, there are a lot of tools out there to help mapping. as far as i know, there isn't any tools to specifically edit slider nodes off-screen. there might be one, you just need to search for it.
i think you're talking about mapping tools! i love mapping tools. i think mapping tools is good with the tos mostly because, while it is a third party software that functions by reading the memory of the game and adding an overlay, it has no intention to actually give you an unfair advantage over your peers. while my intentions are much the same, editing the game files themselves could be considered way, way less cool than simple third party software.

of course, the best solution to this is definitely a third party program, but i couldn't find something that suits my needs. then again, the fact that changing window resolution actually affects slider distortion in tandem with the fact that such modifications of osu probably couldn't coexist with a vanilla client means that editing the game files may not even be a plausible option. oh well. the answer to this question probably does affect something important.

actually, karoo13 has an image to slider distortion script, which, while awesome, is private. karoo, if you're reading this, we love you, please divulge your trade secrets.

also now that i reread this there is almost certainly nothing wrong with doing this stuff offline. what about online? would i be an epic window hacker? would i finally never be able to play this game again?
TheKingHenry

TheSpook39 wrote:

would i finally never be able to play this game again?
lol

Anyways, other than including plain unallowed content in your mapset, like age rating -related stuff, or hacking your map to do sketchy stuff on the end user computer and whatnot other weirdo crap, in the map itself (like objects and stuff) you are allowed to do pretty much whatever you want. Only rules regarding that part are when you want to actually rank maps and such; if you just wanna have a chuckle with some graveyard mapping, you can do offscreen sliders or whatever else unrankable stuff fancies you no problem