forum

Is my timing good in this map?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Pukawka
Hi there. I just wanted to ask, namely, is my timing good in this map? It is my first attempt to make any part of mapping in osu!, so in advance, sorry for my stupidness.

I am taking baby steps, without any YouTube tutorials about it. I just wanted to ask if my approach is the right way to do the map. There I had to create a two single 'BPM checkpoints', because it's like 1-2 and 1-2 after some space, but the BPM is the same. Maybe I did it wrong, so feel free to correct me. I want to learn, I do not want someone to make my map for me.

I think the offset is great, I've figured it out in Adobe Audtion basing on the timeline. Not sure about the BPM. Cheers!

Don't worry about the patterns, I am just learning the timing right now.

beatmapsets/1295359#osu/2687761
TheKingHenry
okay for starters, the offset is not exactly accurate either, something like -50ms from the current seems a bit better

But that aside, you are timing the 3/2 pattern in the music as 1/1, and this is why your bpm is wrong, leading to this double red line you have there in the beginning. So essentially, the pattern in the music is two sounds each lasting 3 * 1/2, followed by one 1/1 (so 2 * 1/2) long sound, for 1.5 + 1.5 + 1 = 4 beats respectively (one measure in the 4/4).

So with that in mind multiply your bpm with 1.5 to get your timing from that 3/2 to the actual 1/1 beat. With the offset change in mind, quickie check on my end resulted in something around 150bpm seeming relatively close to truth, at least as long as I listened to (didn't go all the way through).

So as a tip to avoid this kind of bpm mismatch, rather than listening where the next sound is located (like you did here), try to listen to the entire phrase, which is typically something like measure or two, and then divide that segment into beats, and you won't be misguided by rhythmic pattern like these

Hopefully this was helpful

Pukawka wrote:

without any YouTube tutorials about it
that's fine and all if it's the way you wanna go about it, but checking out at least enough to know some basic concepts, terminology and methods or such can be immensely beneficial for your initial learning experience

well, good luck
Topic Starter
Pukawka

TheKingHenry wrote:

okay for starters, the offset is not exactly accurate either, something like -50ms from the current seems a bit better
You are right, I have already noticed it. I set it to -50ms (just figured out how to use a timeline zoom). Sounds much better now.

I have to admit that I set up the BPM earlier at 150, but something was messed up. Probably this little (still valuable) mistakes in setting the offset. 150 BPM should be (or at least near) perfect, it's like a standard for this music genre.

I do not know about this elementary music knowledge and it blows my mind but, thanks for the help, though. You did much.

LMAO, just discovered this 'Beat Snap Divisor' thing and it is golden. More time, more sense.
Darketten
i dont think you need 2 red lines there,delete first and set second to 340-350 offset i guess
TheKingHenry

Darketten wrote:

i dont think you need 2 red lines there,delete first and set second to 340-350 offset i guess
this made me realize my wording is perhaps a bit poor there

TheKingHenry wrote:

But that aside, you are timing the 3/2 pattern in the music as 1/1, and this is why your bpm is wrong, leading to this double red line you have there in the beginning
leading to it as in leading to the issue, problem, mistake, of the double point, as only one point is necessary (so NOT in the sense of "leading to" as in "that is the next thing")

though basing on the response from OP looks like he got what I meant