forum

Multiplayer "free play"

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +8,260
show more
Spayyce
How would it stop you from playing multiplayer? Isnt the point of it to compete against eachother, if no one is playing the diff you want to play pick a diff people are playing, I found it annoying joining a game as a low level only to have them put "insane" or "extra" on when I could barely pass hard.

EDIT: Plus, you're still playing the same beatmap just a different difficulty within said beatmap.
Green Platinum

41236 wrote:

I'd say NO to this, we should play the same map to be called playing together. Also some people'd rather pick the diff they could get the highest score on than the diff their level but they can hardly get an FC. This getting implemented would get us bored of multiplayer and encourage playing solo. Just my opinion.
While I don't see the logic behind your conclusion it is possible to add a toggle for host to disable this feature, like with mods.
Minhtam
I really want to upvote this because it's a really good idea in theory. However, what happens when you have a beatmap like this one?

https://osu.ppy.sh/s/9720

Here, you have two difficulties (Shiroi and Akai) cover only 90 seconds of the song, one difficulty (Kuroi) that covers 3 minutes of the song, and one (Naraku) that covers the entire song. That's all in the same beatmap. So if someone picks this song, intending to go with the Naraku difficulty, and a beginner finds it hard and chooses Shiroi instead, the beginner gets screwed out of the rest of the song.

So in essence, that's unfair. How do you handle a situation like that?
Bara-
God no
I like the idea of difficulties, but songs?
Definitely a no for me. Why? It doesn't feel like Multi then anymore
Just people playing and comparing scores of 2 none-alike maps/songs (Except the fact that they are of equal length)
[ Scarlet Red ]
Omg this idea is amazing. You don't have to find an "insane" lobby on multi, just go in any song and change yours to insane, I love it.
DefaultState
I'd really like to see this. why is it a dead threat? Don't see why people think competition is lost then, since the free diff pick is for everyone in the room (--> something like "tactical picking" what was mentioned before). i really don't care about competing with others that much, since i see my own past record as opponent. there will be some restrictions like "+-20 secs difference on maps" (compared to the map the host picks?) so that nobody has to wait forever.
that would really make friends keep playing together where ranking difference gets bigger or has already been like 1 star or above.
Founntain
Support
Grassgrow
I love this idea, I hope it will be implemented! :) :) :)
FappyBabes
not too fond of this idea.
ppl playing with others who's skill level multiplys urs isnt so fun, easily rekt and boring.
the way it works now u get matched up with closer ranked ppl so its much more fair.
teasp00n

prky wrote:

not too fond of this idea.
ppl playing with others who's skill level multiplys urs isnt so fun, easily rekt and boring.
the way it works now u get matched up with closer ranked ppl so its much more fair.

I think you missed the entire point of this.
This option is not about competition.
Sometimes you just want to play with friends and have fun.
And if I invite new people to osu! they cant play with me, or I will be bored to death after a few songs. Or alternatively, I scare them away with way.

Is this even considered btw :?: >:(
Anyone got any insight?
Seijiro
For now, new feature reaquests are in stand by. If you do not see any star icon on the thread it means it isn't considered to be implemented yet
teasp00n

[-MrSergio-] wrote:

For now, new feature reaquests are in stand by. If you do not see any star icon on the thread it means it isn't considered to be implemented yet
"New"

That's funny.
Seijiro
Let me rephrase this

Since the implemantion of new features has been stopped due to some feature that need a lot of work, new features (even if they have an enormous amount of priority and they will probably be implemented)) won't gain the star icon which means "this will be added". I know this feature is old xD
Samuuui
totally agree with this idea, but why stop at the mode osu!? I have a friend i talk on skype with all the time, he's a CTB player,. it would be nice if we could go into lobbies and share music while playing together in our own mode.
Halogen-
This absolutely should exist for all modes, not just standard osu!.

I actually played multiplayer for the first time yesterday as an osu!mania player, and found a 4K room with a lot of people, which was awesome. I love having a great time with other 4K players. However, the issue that I was actually coming to find is that the host was typically picking a difficulty level that was a bit lower than I desired for very familiar maps. Don't get me wrong, playing lower difficulty maps is not something I dislike, but in many cases, I would rather play an Insane difficulty mania map over a Hard one. Skill variances between players actually makes it somewhat difficult for everyone to have a good time, because those who are less skilled have to try and trudge through higher level files if the host picks them, and inversely, those who are more skilled have to deal with playing easier maps than they might want. Adding this feature gives players the freedom to do what they want, while still being in the confines of a multiplayer game.

There was a point early on this thread about players trying to use strategy in winning against someone using a higher level, which I believe could be a legitimate issue; I'm sure someone could derive a formula based off of the star difficulty, and difference in objects between both (the host and those who picked lower) difficulties to apply a < 1 multiplier to the score that reduces the possible max score they can get within that multiplayer match. An awesome implementation of this would reduce the score only for the purposes of the match, but not for ranking -- if a player's score gets a multiplier of 0.85x and they get a score of 1,000,000, their score in the match would be 850,000, but their 1,000,000 would be sent to the score database as is.
pandaBee
Great idea. Would love to have this implemented. For the competitive aspect, either make it so that the scores are separated (normal/hard/insane, etc) or just aggregate them together, since a player that can beat your score on a easier map on a harder one is probably going to beat you in the easier map anyways. For the separation there could be a color coding on the real-time scoreboards during the game (randomly assign a color for each version being played) and for each different version of the map being played there will be a separate winner for each one.
- Marco -
I want this so badly :(
7ambda
I wouldn't have to tolerate the host setting the map to normal difficulty with this feature. Great idea.
envui_old
Why this isn't a feature yet?I hate osu! mode and my friends love it, so i just drop and go play stepmania.
Cassia
is this planned ? Or just a highly wanted option without it happening ?
Zifam
I hope this gets added soon. Peppy did make a reply on this thread, so I believe he is most likely working on it.

Support!
Ronbo
Gonna bump this again because I was about to post the same. I've started playing with some friends a lot recently (we didn't know we all played osu lol), but our multi matches tend to either be the lower ranked guys getting destroyed every song, or the higher ranked guys getting bored to death grinding easy songs. Being able to have each person play on a different difficulty would be awesome!

To deal with some maps having different lengths on different difficulties (such as some stream/jump training maps), you could make it so the difficulty you select must be within 5 seconds of the host's selected difficulty length.
BroAidan
I Like this idea, would make games more fun with a range of ranks.
Phashy
waiting...
xxxafiqxxx
THIS IS A GOOD IDEA!
ZeethusOSU
It's good to have this added if there is a difference in skills of the players in the multiplayer match.
TheKoolAidGuy
This is a great idea for people that are looking to just chillax and play with others without having to worry about not being able to play at the same level as others.
deskoo
Definitely my #1 feature wish at the moment!
otoed1
If we did this I might actually play multiplayer.
_xavo
Bauxe

xXavocadoXx wrote:

I fully support this idea, but I think it would be great if it wasn't a Score thing, but more of an Accuracy score.

Why:
Score = Hard or Insane will always win.
Accuracy = This can work, because a SS is a SS no matter if it's Easy or Insane.
Combo = Hard or Insane will always win, because there are more circles.

Again, total support. -xAvo
An SS on Easy is much easier than an SS on Insane. There is no way to have a fair balance for scoring here. So score makes the most sense, since they are playing the harder map.
_xavo
IRyanI

Bauxe wrote:

xXavocadoXx wrote:

I fully support this idea, but I think it would be great if it wasn't a Score thing, but more of an Accuracy score.

Why:
Score = Hard or Insane will always win.
Accuracy = This can work, because a SS is a SS no matter if it's Easy or Insane.
Combo = Hard or Insane will always win, because there are more circles.

Again, total support. -xAvo
An SS on Easy is much easier than an SS on Insane. There is no way to have a fair balance for scoring here. So score makes the most sense, since they are playing the harder map.

Have it as a sense of how it's titled "Free play" where it wouldn't matter who wins or how the scoring is. Just play to play have everyone show up in the end ranking by alphabetical order. Could also have it be separated by close rank or what difficulty they choose by similar star rating.

This is a great idea though, I have friends who are rank 100K+ who want to play multi but can't play the songs I play or they pick and it's not enjoyable for myself, even with mods.

I support this 100%
_xavo
JapanYoshiTheGamer
If I had stars to shoot, and were a supporter, I'd upvote the everloving fu*k out of this. My friend who just got into osu! still can only play easy maps and Hard Rock just doesn't do it for me
Dantoria

xXavocadoXx wrote:

otoed1 wrote:

If we did this I might actually play multiplayer.
If we did this my friends might actually play multiplayer.
+1
Prospettiva
+1 star

u have my star
Asmira
+1 <3
Supreme
Yes plz
show more