forum

Content ID?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Awesome Aasim
I recently was attempting to upload a beatmap for a song from Cytus II/DJMAX. The upload failed, saying that the audio was previously removed by the copyright holder. I am aware of this thing called "fair use" in the US (fair dealing elsewhere) which allows for the transformative use of copyrighted material without explicit permission for the copyright holder. What should I do? Ask the copyright holder for permission? Map a different song? Wait for the song to be licensed for osu!? All three of the above? And since when did osu! have content ID?
DeletedUser_5153421
legal/copyright

"remove and discontinue service to repeat offenders."

I guess this technically means you can try once in doing an edited ver with lower quality/cut?

I don't think it would be a good idea to try to bypass this copyright, but if you can't find some sort of bootleg ver. I don't know what else to tell you. I don't think it's submittable, but IANAL.
Topic Starter
Awesome Aasim
Much of the content on osu!, I learned, is actually being used under the fair use doctrine and is unlicensed or not properly licensed for use on osu!. I do not want my account restricted because of copyright issues, but at the same time, much of the content on osu! is taken from other rhythm games or movies and whatnot.

I think some copyright holders do not care as long as we are not profiting from their work. I feel like this is probably a case of a game publisher (Rayark or Neowiz) not wanting music from their paid games being used elsewhere. It probably would not be hard to get a license provided that we have enough money, but maybe I should just let osu! handle the licensing?
DeletedUser_5153421
Technically osu makes money from supporter tags, but yeah, I notice that some songs that weren't downloadable in the past for copyright reasons were able to be again (beatmapsets/456691#osu/978628), I think there's a chance it can be resolved if it's enough of an issue that people want to map/play the song.
Topic Starter
Awesome Aasim
Yeah, but we are not selling or monetizing the actual content.

Oh, and you want to know what is even more broken about this? There are already beatmaps with the song that have not been taken down. I think from the point of view of the rhythm game community, people just want to have fun playing songs. I guess this was a recent DMCA submission and the osu! team have not taken the stuff down yet while they negotiate a licensing deal. That is my guess. It could also be that the sound identification software is broken, but I am able to upload other beatmaps as far as I am aware. But your guess is as good as mine. I think the osu! team could be a bit more transparent about blocked content. So they could give a more detailed message indicating what is going on other than that the copyright holder blocked the song from being used.
Castagne
You say it's a DJMAX song, the company behind DJMAX doesn't want their songs on osu. That's the reason why your upload fails when you put DJMAX in tags.

The response from the osu staff isn't always consistent but peeps like peppy and ephemeral are not professional game devs so you should just deal with it.

Furthermore I wouldn't try breaking holes in the rules. If the artist doesn't want the songs on osu, then you should find different songs to map. Keep in mind that these artists may be featured in the future and you don't want them to have a bad taste in their mouths with respect to osu because you necessarily had to push your map without their approval.
lewski

Castagne wrote:

peeps like peppy and ephemeral are not professional game devs
offtopic but... eph, sure, but peppy? if making a game and making a living out of maintaining that game doesn't make you a professional game dev, what the hell does?

I also don't see how being a game dev is in any way related to handling legal issues like this one
Topic Starter
Awesome Aasim
To clarify: the song is from Cytus II. As part of a collab, that Cytus II song was included in DJMAX. So basically the issue is that I have "DJMAX" in the tags?