forum

Osu concerning copyright

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Primula_old
This has always been on my mind and I haven't found anything about it here, and people I've asked have been as clueless as I am with this:
Has Osu! ever been involved in legal issues considering the distribution of copyrighted music in mp3 format with beatmaps?
And if not, why not?

On a sort of relevant yet different note:

Early last year I used to stream on Twitch.tv and had music playing in the background while I played games, I was banned after a couple months of doing this due to copyright issues with the music.. Yet it's perfectly find to stream Osu! gameplay with the same music! >-< (This is the same with uploading gameplay with music in the background on youtube/uploading plays of those songs from osu - for some reason, none of my osu plays get any legal trouble yet some other gameplay videos with music get muted)

I'm not complaining, just genuinely curious~ ^-^
bmin11
silasw
I'm betting that the Osu hitsounds trip up any audio matching software that would normally be used to find infringing audio tracks on twitch.tv.

As for the music being distributed on this site, it probably escapes notice because it's embedded in a zipped archive with a unique extension.
Topic Starter
Primula_old

bmin11 wrote:

http://osu.ppy.sh/p/copyright
But has there ever been a case where a beatmap has been removed due to this? (I assumed once a beatmap is ranked it cannot be removed or something..)

silasw wrote:

I'm betting that the Osu hitsounds trip up any audio matching software that would normally be used to find infringing audio tracks on twitch.tv.
But even twitch admins watched the OWC streams, they just take no notice of it I guess ;--;
(Also when I was banned from twitch for music, it was just background music meaning my game sound drowned it out a fair bit).
awp
I don't think a beatmap has ever been removed for legal copyright reasons

I don't think anyone responsible for policing that stuff knows or cares enough