forum

[Proposal] Add Rule for Album Mix Title Standardization

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Tycani
Proposed Rule:

1. Beatmaps of full albums must be titled with the name of the album, followed by (Album). For EP albums, the (Album) marker should be replaced by (EP).
I think this would probably be a good idea to throw in now as Scorev2 has brought back the idea that longer maps can be possible (see for example, Nevo's recent ORAL CIGARETTES and Kagerou Project compilarions). I don't doubt that several mappers will try and do album mixes in the near future (whether or not they finish them is the real question), not unlike Armin's classic set of The Unforgiving. Hence why I think it might be a good idea to throw it into metadata standardization.

My main reasoning is "Title tracks" -- where an album will have the same name as one of the tracks inside of it. For a random example, take the Fracture EP by SLUMBERJACK -- the title of the EP is simply "Fracture", but it's also the title of the 5th track. This can create a problem for a player looking for a beatmap of the song Fracture as, if there were an EP mix mapped, the player would have no way to tell the difference at a glance on either osu!direct or the Beatmap download page on the site, since drain time isn't listed.

I think that while the change may have been entirely unnecessary just a year ago, Scorev2 marathon maps are almost rankable so it's time that this change is considered as players look into possible doing EP/Album mixes in the near future.
TheKingHenry
I doubt they will see that big of an increase in numbers, even if it is "more possible now".

In any case this idea seems intriguing, and the benefits of some use cases you mentioned are quite real indeed - even though I'd still quite hate to break the "perfection" of a stand-alone title with additional markers.

That being said, I'm personally not a big fan of your suggestions regarding the standardization marker; mix just either sounds like it's about some different version of a song (think of a song released as single and then in an album for example) or it's bunch of songs mixed together compilation-style, which is also not quite what a full release is about. Well, that's just semantics though and doesn't take away from the point of the suggestions itself.
Topic Starter
Tycani

TheKingHenry wrote:

I doubt they will see that big of an increase in numbers, even if it is "more possible now".

In any case this idea seems intriguing, and the benefits of some use cases you mentioned are quite real indeed - even though I'd still quite hate to break the "perfection" of a stand-alone title with additional markers.

That being said, I'm personally not a big fan of your suggestions regarding the standardization marker; mix just either sounds like it's about some different version of a song (think of a song released as single and then in an album for example) or it's bunch of songs mixed together compilation-style, which is also not quite what a full release is about. Well, that's just semantics though and doesn't take away from the point of the suggestions itself.
One by one responses to each paragraph here:

- a big increase in numbers isn't likely. It's more a "just in case" scenario

- yeah breaking the "perfection" is kinda lame but I feel there's a chance in the future where this could be an issue and I think it makes sense to find some way to differentiate it

- I'm not the greatest at titling things LMAO. "(Album Mix)" can sound a bit confusing now that I think about it, although idk what I'd replace it with. Might be good for others in the thread to suggest something a bit different to make it less confusing
clayton
I'd put "(Album)" if anything, just to clarify it isn't a single song
Topic Starter
Tycani

clayton wrote:

I'd put "(Album)" if anything, just to clarify it isn't a single song
LOL THAT'S SUCH A SIMPLE ANSWER BUT IT WORKS

I'm gonna edit it in to the main post for the marker to be "(Album)"/"(EP)"
Topic Starter
Tycani
is there anything anybody would like to add onto this before a pull request is created?
Noffy
This is rather uncommon so I do not think it needs to be standardized, additionally RC already has this:

If a mapset track is composed of two or more songs, list the song titles clearly with a dividing symbol inbetween or use a title descriptive of its contents. If the title becomes too long as a result, a descriptive title must be used instead.

As long as meta in this type of case is descriptive of its contents and not misleading I don't see an issue with letting people decide how to call it
clayton
agree with noffy, I forgot about this part

if someone uses an album title with same name as song title like ur example, you can already refer to this rule and suggest adding "(Album)" or etc
Topic Starter
Tycani
Yeah I think that's a fair point, I hadn't thought about that rule either. Thread can be archived now I guess, not much to add