Curved
24.85%
Flat
75.15%
Total votes: 169
Topic Starter
-ruubi-
Hello!

I've wanted an external monitor as the laptop I use has a small screen (and is 60hz). I intend on using it for my online school, watching shows, and gaming. For osu! in specific, would you choose a curved or flat monitor? Would the curve make reading at the edges harder? Also, if you can, what size monitor would you choose? I'm thinking around 22-24 inches but I'd appreciate a second opinion. Thank you :-D
mewkies
Well, I have a flat monitor, but I can say for sure that without letterboxing, 27” is way too big at normal sitting distances if you’re using it for osu!. 22-24 inches would be just perfect.
Topic Starter
-ruubi-
Thanks for the input!
Mentee
Flat monitor all the way. Simply put, I don't bother with 'curved' gaming monitors since that's just my own personal preference. A monitor is a monitor by the end of the day.

I have 2 flat monitor's that are about 27 inches, 1920x1080. It surprisingly fits in my desk and it's helped me throughout a lot of productive work and such.
Jep_old_2
Flat monitors 100%! Curved monitors have a sort of unpleasant view to look at all the monitor while playing osu! in my opinion. It seems more efficient to use a flat screen to limit distortion.
MICEK
Curved if u want more immersion.
But it's not that big of a difference so if u have a monitor that is flat it's not that big of a deal
Winnyace
I doubt that a curved monitor will help click circles better. I recommend putting money into a decent 144hz monitor at 1080p if you want a monitor, but I'd recommend getting a computer that run the game without any problems
Topic Starter
-ruubi-
Makes sense. My laptop can definitely handle the game okay, but I'm prioritizing a monitor over a whole new PC because 1. They're expensive and 2. It'd be even harder to transport between my parents' houses
Ryume
curved is for the winners. flat is for the flat earthers
Simon12

N o v a wrote:

curved is for the winners. flat is for the flat earthers
bruh
Topic Starter
-ruubi-
Update: I got a monitor! It's the MSI G271. The 27 inch monitor was on sale for much less than their 24 inch one so I got that one. It's a bit big for osu so I just set my resolution on osu 1600x900 :) it's a wonderful monitor!
haha i rolypoly
nice
Yukanna
flat monitor, curved can lead to distractions.
Hydreigon
curved monitors are quite expensive
Wataxei
Flat monitors. Curve monitors are cool too, it's usually somebodies preference.
castin
The only situation where curved monitors make sense is if they're 40" or larger with a 16:9 ratio, or an ultrawide aspect ratio.
The whole point of curved monitors is to get rid of the distortion effect caused by the edges being further away from your eyes than the center of the monitor. Curved monitors make every point of the display an equal distance from your eyes which get's rid of that distortion.
Curved monitors do have their place and purpose, But 27-32 inch monitors aint it. there's no point at that size besides being "cool" and gamery
sadave
Honestly for general everyday use, a curved monitor is better for your eyes and everyday normal gaming experience.

However for osu, since the playfield is only 4:3, realistically only a flat screen is needed.

One of my favourite youtubers made a video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0&ab_channel=cotter548) on this, and he went super in depth on optimal monitor sizes and resolutions for gaming.
suppreme
Hmm, i have a curved and its rlly nice, but i think flat monitors are better
Foxi
I do love some nice, curvaceous screens, but since I am doing dual monitors, it's smarter to have flat screens.
You can have two curved monitors, but it looks aesthetically distorted imo
Phantonym

sadave wrote:

Honestly for general everyday use, a curved monitor is better for your eyes and everyday normal gaming experience.

However for osu, since the playfield is only 4:3, realistically only a flat screen is needed.

One of my favourite youtubers made a video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0&ab_channel=cotter548) on this, and he went super in depth on optimal monitor sizes and resolutions for gaming.
dude, stop rickrolling ok.
show more