forum

[Archived] Problems with using osu! w/ Ubuntu (I'm new to Linux)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Furuphu
Problem details: Running Ubuntu w/ osu! ~ can't download new skins, even if I extract them in the skins directory and click ctrl + alt + shift + s in game. In multi, I can download new maps, when I extract them to the song directory, but it doesn't update in real time like with a Windows OS, thus making me unable to play the map until I refresh my maps. I can't click f5 in game to refresh since I have 86,000 beatmaps. That would take too long. Solutions/ help?

osu! version: Stable 20200918.3 (latest)
_ralsei
i recommend just putting osu in borderless mode (by disabling fullscreen in the options). then you can just alt+tab out and drag beatmaps/skins into osu.
marshallracer
extracting within the folder does in fact not automatically load a new map, as ralsei recommends you should drag .osk/.osz files into the game window if possible or else you have to reload with F5 (though usually when you reload that way it first looks for changes within the folder before reloading everything)

also, depending on how you got the game running I'd recommend taking a look at this thread
it's a bit older but in my experience still the best way to run the game (the lutris installer works fine, too, but it uses an older wine version with higher latency (which you can still manually change though))
GPR
Linux user here.

This is the wine issue that cause you cant drag and drop file into game window.

After you download the osz file, you can move it into your osu! Songs folder (dont extract the file). In the multi screen, press F5, it shouldn't prompt you anything and should only processing the osz file that you just move into Songs folder. Alternatively, you can purchase supporter tag and use in-game download feature (and also support osu!).

For osk file, move your osk file into your osu Skins folder. Rename the file from .osk to .zip. Right click the file and click 'Extract here'. If you do this when the game still open, you may use ctrl+alt+shift+s shortcut to reload the skin.
marshallracer
weird, I'm playing for quite a while now and do not have any issues dragging .osk/.osz files into the window. Do you receive any error message or is just nothing happening? Are you playing FS, Borderless or windowed? Because certainly, since I started playing on linux occassionally a few years ago I could always just drop those files in my windowed game just fine

edit: is this a issue in a specific wine version? normal or staging? a lot of variables to work with tbh, could be anything, maybe even in the winecfg settings
- sylvie -
The error I get is:

011c:fixme:xdnd:XDNDDATAOBJECT_QueryGetData only HGLOBAL medium types supported right now

does anyone have any idea what this signifies?
Average-FNF-Fan
I think the only problem i have is I cant chart in osu due to not being able to drag and drop. I really want to so I can make decent charts but it's a limitation. Is there a way to fix this issue?