forum

Is this playstyle viable for a long term?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
_oneegiri44
So I've been playing Taiko since a while now and kind of developed my own playstyle, where I basically alternate everything but the point is, that I ALWAYS start every pattern with the right hand. So in the end it's not full-alternate. But I was curious if there will be a point where I just can't keep up with the difficulties anymore. (KDDK)
apaajaboleh10
It's called semi alt and imo it can get you pretty far.
dracobuster
There will be a point when you will have to full alternate. Up til that point what you are doing will work. When a song becomes so fast theres not a single single tap pattern you will need full alternation for the easiest time.
Astrid Park
I feel you, first playstyle was KDDK but it really messed up, alternation sucks at that point. But, you'll get the hang of it. You can still keep up will the difficulties, especially alternating, just practice more on memorizing and a bit of stamina at that point.
TheNewbGamer
Will you have fun with it? I think that's the most important question.

I played a lot back in 2013, and got back into the game just today. I don't really care about scores or ranks, I don't reset when I miss notes, usually. I do get really upset when I read a pattern, maybe like ddd d d k d. And I can read it, you go right left right for the 3 dons, and you go right left right left for d d k d, and everything is fine, until 30 seconds later into the song where my hand is tensed, and it starts to hurt. Play 2 or 3 oni or muzukashii songs and I have to give up for the day. I can clearly read it, but not being able to start everything from the left just makes me fatigue super hard. And it's not just the physical aspect, I get super upset at my incompetence. It's so simple, just start with the left hand, right? I know k d d k d, its literally that pattern but missing the k, but muscle memory is so strong that it is just impossible to unlearn. Every year, I come back once or twice to relearn it, hoping enough time has passed to make the connection to the pattern weaker, and override it with pattern training, but every single time I open up any oni songs, without fail, I default back to it. I'm not having fun playing like this.

These days, I try to force myself to play fuutsuu and kantan, really slow, and I miss stuff all the time. I feel like I don't even know how to play anymore, I miss notes constantly, I freeze, I have to pause to think about hand switching. But I hope be able to do ddd d d k d sometime soon. It isn't much, knowing you are all much better than me, and muzukashii is now very hard for me. But for the first time in many years, I'm finally enjoying myself.

I realized this is why the game is so much fun, compared to other rhythm games. To play fast, you have to unlearn hitting buttons from 1 hand or 1 stick, and use both. It's like a fighting game, where you have to practice combos on both sides of the screen. You don't really have that with beatmania and others. And the really complicated maps force you to be on your toes with odd times and just generally weird patterns. With switching, the game becomes this really fun real time puzzle game where you are trying to wrap your head around using both sides of the drum.

In the end, I can only speak for myself. But I hope you find what works for you.
dracobuster
starting with right hand or left hand dominance is viable, but as you progress to faster and faster songs it gets more harder, and fatiguing. If your hand starts to hurt from tensing I suggest moving your keyboard to a more comfortable position. I used to play where my right hand wrist is aligned with my arm so it was fine, but my left hand was curved to the left to hit the keys. This caused my hand to hurt.

To build up that speed I recommend long stream training maps. It's just one pattern so you just use that to warm up. If it gets too easy you can scroll toward the lower bpm maps and throw on dt.

Don't try to fight the habit of playing with one hand dominance until you actually need it, which is around 5.5+ stars where it gets extremely fast. Even then some maps teach you how to alternate with the other hand by doing slow streams with a little triple added in there. You just have to choose to see it yourself.

beatmapsets/72474#taiko/207692
Topic Starter
_oneegiri44
First of all, thank you all for the responses.

I think stamina-wise I can keep up pretty decently (not as good as full-alternate of course) since I still alternate 1/2 notes, the only major problem might be my finger control and speed, especially on 1/6 bursts.