forum

Rythm choice

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
illlidan
Hi, this song has soft drum sounds on some blue ticks, if I map them - rythm feels ugly (there's doubles and similar stuff that as a player I highly dislike), so if I prioritize vocals mostly is it okay to left some blue ticks unmapped?
In beatmap below objects are place holders.
beatmapsets/1252344#osu/2604490
WitherMite
whats wrong with doubles? plus based on how you have the sliders leading into some of the blue ticks with drums those will feel like a triple anyway. and most of the other rhythms are dense enough that if you really don't want doubles you could probably arrange the notes on the playfield so that there aren't doubles.

also, that placeholder stack is hilarious: 00:41:672 - turn on stacking in the view options for a laugh.
Topic Starter
illlidan

WitherMite wrote:

whats wrong with doubles? plus based on how you have the sliders leading into some of the blue ticks with drums those will feel like a triple anyway. and most of the other rhythms are dense enough that if you really don't want doubles you could probably arrange the notes on the playfield so that there aren't doubles.
also, that placeholder stack is hilarious: 00:41:672 - turn on stacking in the view options for a laugh.
IMO doubles are not only uncomfortable to play, but also ruining value of snares (as your forced to click both: quite almost unnoticeble drum sound on blue tick and loud and clear snare. wdym by arrange notes on playfield?
WitherMite

illlidan wrote:

wdym by arrange notes on playfield?
sry, now that I think about it that makes no sense, idk what i was talking about, but I still don't see the point in trying to avoid doubles. Those drums really aren't that quiet and not mapping them at all is imo worse than the cons of doubles, but then again I alternate so doubles aren't uncomfortable. If you really dont want doubles though, it might be fine, but you should fix the timing at the beginning, none of the notes are snapped.
Topic Starter
illlidan

WitherMite wrote:

illlidan wrote:

wdym by arrange notes on playfield?
sry, now that I think about it that makes no sense, idk what i was talking about, but I still don't see the point in trying to avoid doubles. Those drums really aren't that quiet and not mapping them at all is imo worse than the cons of doubles, but then again I alternate so doubles aren't uncomfortable. If you really dont want doubles though, it might be fine, but you should fix the timing at the beginning, none of the notes are snapped.
they're snapped, but first are 1/3. what about general object choice then?
WitherMite

illlidan wrote:

they're snapped, but first are 1/3. what about general object choice then?
Idk why I didn't realize that, I feel dumb now, though the green lines and bookmarks def aren't snapped, probably why I didn't think to check that, you should at least resnap the green lines. I think your object choice is probably ok, you may be able to find something that will let you get the blue ticks without doubles if you really tried, but idk.
Zelzatter Zero

illlidan wrote:

WitherMite wrote:

IMO doubles are not only uncomfortable to play, but also ruining value of snares (as your forced to click both: quite almost unnoticeble drum sound on blue tick and loud and clear snare. wdym by arrange notes on playfield?
That's shit reason. Most mappers deal with triples with sliders like that most of the time, and you can just represent the snares with clap hitsound. I have no problem with you having your own rhythm choice, but simply denying doubles just because it feels uncomfortable to play is ridiculous. It's not anything too controversial and you can see them in ranked maps most of the time.
Uniform

Zelzatter Zero wrote:

illlidan wrote:

WitherMite wrote:

That's shit reason. Most mappers deal with triples with sliders like that most of the time, and you can just represent the snares with clap hitsound. I have no problem with you having your own rhythm choice, but simply denying doubles just because it feels uncomfortable to play is ridiculous. It's not anything too controversial and you can see them in ranked maps most of the time.
yeah you shouldn't heavily sacrifice musical representation for playability.
Adinda
Its not ok replace actual doublet to triple ,honestly doublet isnt that uncomfortable for me somehow lol ,maybe just need more time to accept how its good the doublet rhythm
Asphiee
you heard them. what u stated were pure subjective... i love doubles thats why... dont ever sacrifice musical representation over playability, like... ever...
abraker

Asphyre wrote:

you heard them. what u stated were pure subjective... i love doubles thats why... dont ever sacrifice musical representation over playability, like... ever...
Sacrificing musical representation over playability should be up to the mapper. I myself map based on how I want fingers to move instead of strictly following music. So long as the map is following the general sounds/noise, it can be ok.

Various techniques like layering or using multiple notes for one sound make the map more complex, and imo, interesting. How far you can spread the notes across one sound depends on how much overall noise there is at that time. If it's a "click" in an otherwise silent section, then a note triplet would have to be quite short to preserve the illusion of them pertaining to the noise related to that one "click". If it's a drum roll, then you have more flexibility in around the noise the drum roll creates.

This might help get an overall idea of why it works, but the errors that chart shows vary based on how distributed the sound in question is. In short, visual and auditory cues close enough to each other are automatically synced by the brain, causing them to appear simultaneous. That doesn't mean having patterns where a single note pertaining to one sound be offsync is ok. You should fix that. It just means that you can have leeway in how spread out the notes through time are in patterns where those multiple notes pertain to one sound.

You play such maps by reading the map more than listening to the music. When playing such maps hitsounds also must be turned off or the illusion doesn't work because you then hear the audio feedback to the hits - the audio feedback will sound wrong and/or out of sync. Ofc there is such a thing as overmapping it, so it's to be used in moderation.