forum

I dislike everything I make

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
WitherMite
I've been trying to learn how to map std for a while now, watching videos, looking in this forum, paying attention to maps I play, but every time I get anywhere with a map it just feels wrong and I can never really tell why, I can at least get somewhere with mania because its only got so many patterns and if you are faithful to the song it will turn out fine, not necessarily good ofc, but fine. Standard on the other hand, I just can't figure out if its because I have the tendency to hate things that I make, or because its actually got something wrong with it. Anyone else have this problem, and how did/do you get over it?
Narrative
I definitely had this problem since I started mapping, and even now sometimes I think my mapping is too bad. I wouldn't say I got over this problem, but now I think this problem has occurred less.

This might sound counter intuitive, but playing the game more has actually increased my mapping ability. As I got better at osu!, I started to realize patterns when I played and I started to know the line between a good map and a bad map, and I started to apply my new knowledge on mapping. This route is definitely not for the majority of mappers but I felt like it worked for me. I think getting better at mapping is 90% observing and 10% actually mapping.

Another thing that sort of worked for me is mapping different types of music or a different style. If you map only tv sizes for instance, you should try to attempt mapping tech, and it opens your eyes to many more mapping techniques and patterns that you hadn't known before.

Remember, getting better at mapping takes a lot of patience.
Asphiee

Zecent wrote:

I definitely had this problem since I started mapping, and even now sometimes I think my mapping is too bad. I wouldn't say I got over this problem, but now I think this problem has occurred less.
^ also like this even now. idk for you but personally this kind of mindset is good for the mapper actually because it tells them to push their own limits and not half-ass their mapping. remember finishing a map that you've made with lots of effort and patience is better than everything u make with haste. the feeling of submitting a map that you're confident to is really fulfilling, i dont think that there's something wrong with you btw.
lewski
As you map stuff and try to find something you don't immediately hate, you should eventually reach a point where you feel like what the stuff you make is alright or even good. That'll last until your standards and ability to notice flaws in maps catch up to your skill at making maps, and then you're back at square one, except that you're better than the previous time you were there. I've gone through this cycle a bunch of times.

That said, it's entirely possible that you're overly critical of yourself. If that's the case, you'll have to deal with that first or you're going to have a hard time getting to a point where you like your maps at all. You'll still improve, but it's way harder to keep going when everything you make feels like trash. However, if you've mapped as little as your profile suggests, I'd give it a bit more time before consciously lowering your standards or anything like that.

Setting small goals for yourself can help with getting through a rough phase. Someone else already mentioned finishing maps; if that's something that gives you any satisfaction, you can try to focus more on that feeling whenever you get it. You can also make goals out of the feedback you get: When someone points out a fundamental problem in one of your maps, do your best to avoid it in your next map. Then, you can get feedback on that map and even ask about the problematic area specifically. If you've managed to improve in that area, you can focus on that success for a bit. Even if other problems were pointed out, you don't need to stress over them; you can always read the feedback again later when you're actually making your next map.
Topic Starter
WitherMite
Turns out I was probably a bit too hard on myself, though I think thats probably helped me learn the basic things a bit faster than others.

lewski wrote:

However, if you've mapped as little as your profile suggests, I'd give it a bit more time before consciously lowering your standards or anything like that.
Yea, I have quite a few maps that I just never uploaded, and by the time I actually uploaded something and got someone to mod it, they didn't immediately hate it and tell me about the basic things I did wrong, so, that's a win i guess. I probably need to be less critical of what I put to pending and WIP to get actual feedback and learn.

Also I learned Im kinda an ADHD mapper, If I focus on one map, I just start hating mapping and the song, so I've started having 2 or three projects going to keep me motivated.
TheKingHenry
don't we all :^)

essentially, Plato's Theory of Ideas applies here as much as in anything else

so unless your standards allow you some satisfaction, you ain't ever escaping this one buddy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯