forum

Enable us to change where we are supposed to hit a beat.

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Cyber-Kun
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Echo
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
LuigiHann
Is this just an issue of display/design? Somebody could probably design a custom skinned approach circle for you if we knew what you were looking for. But you're probably just better off getting used to how this game works. When the approach circle is lined up with the hit circle, you click!
Topic Starter
Cyber-Kun
Alright, let me try to say this a bit better.
The timing when you have to hit a circle in this game is when the Approach Circle hits the hit circle.
However it doesn't feel natural when I have to hit the hit circle in comparison to the approach circle.
I would like to be able to fine tune when I have to hit the hit circle in comparison to the approach circle.

Using the universal offset doesn't work due to the fact that a song with a higher overall difficulty, the approach circle reaches the hit circle faster. Due to the fact that the universal offset doesn't change the approach circle timing to the hit circle with difficulty... the result is still the same. Timing for the approach circle is off.

As for Echo, I can't exactly create a screenie of when I would want to hit the beat. I would need to test to find what feels best for me.

LuigiHann wrote:

Somebody could probably design a custom skinned approach circle for you if we knew what you were looking for.
That is a great idea for a soft fix for this. Thanks.
Destro
mattyu007

Cyber-Kun wrote:

However it doesn't feel natural when I have to hit the hit circle in comparison to the approach circle.
Why not? It seems very natural and logical to me...
Also, I think you may be misunderstanding how the UO works. If you adjust the UO, the timing of the beat itself changes, which causes the approach circles to come in later. You would technically be hitting the beats earlier than the intended time, giving non-300 hits...
YoshiKart
For that "soft fix" Luigi mentioned, simply open up your skin's folder, and find a file called approachcircle. Edit it with a program of your choice (preferably something that keeps the file in .png, like photoshop or paint.net) and resize the approach circle to be bigger or smaller, depending on how you want it to be. Save, restart osu! (or change skins), and test it out.
mm201
The player should be timing his clicks to the music, not the circles, so I don't see why this is a problem.
Atmey

YoshiKart wrote:

Edit it with a program of your choice (preferably something that keeps the file in .png, like photoshop or paint.net)
Or just online: http://www.pixlr.com/editor/
(No download, no install, don't need to upload picture to edit, 80% of basic photoshop features and free)
Cyclone

MetalMario201 wrote:

The player should be timing his clicks to the music, not the circles, so I don't see why this is a problem.
This. Unless i've missed the point of this thread.
Gemi
I understand the requesters motivation, because I've had the same problem and I can assume a lot of players will when they really aim to be good. Basically what is asked is a video sync option in addition to the audio sync option. Video sync is becoming the standard in new rhythm games so I'd like to see this option in osu too. It is a very small thing really, but still something that would improve the game.

Cyclone wrote:

MetalMario201 wrote:

This. Unless i've missed the point of this thread.
Yes, the idea of rhythm games is to step/click/hit to the music. There are however two types of players, audial and visual players. Audial players play mainly to the music and only use the visual system to see roughly when to hit. Visual players mainly use the visual representation to see when to hit and only use the audio as a rough guide. For visual players something like the issue discussed here is very important.

Also, you should note that visual playing is actually much better than audio dependant playing since getting the exact offset and bpm is usually a huge problem for mappers and the sync really drifts inside many songs and the sync between multiple maps is usually very different. So actually playing visually is the way to go, audio is there just to distract you.

;)
Echo

Gemi wrote:

since getting the exact offset and bpm is usually a huge problem for mappers and the sync really drifts inside many songs and the sync between multiple maps is usually very different.
Be that as it may, osu! is a rhythm game, and should be treated as such. In any case, aural cues are much more effective than visual cues. Try playing osu! with your speakers off.
ThePassingShadow
Play hidden.
Gemi

Echo wrote:

Try playing osu! with your speakers off.
Tbh I play more effectively with the speakers off than the screen off. Might not be the same for you.

;)
ThePassingShadow
An64fan
I hope he means playing without the approach circle, because damn, playing stuff blind is just insane.

In any case, Cyber-kun, as has been mentioned, you can just edit the approach circle of the skin you're using using any half-decent graphics program. Just size it down a small amount and you should be set. If you're really that worried about your fellow DDR/Stepmania/osu! players, you could always post any altered skinning elements you did so they could use them as well.
awp

MetalMario201 wrote:

This answer should have been enough to lock the thread. You can't be more right than this.

Download: Ayana Taketatsu - HELP!! -Hell Side- (Hooker For Hika) [Bobo's Normal].osu
mm201

Gemi wrote:

Echo wrote:

Tbh I play more effectively with the speakers off than the screen off. Might not be the same for you.

;)
The screen tells you where to click, and coarsely tells you when to hit, via spacing and approach circles.

The music tells you much more finely when to click. If you're good, you can time your hits down to the nearest ~4ms, whereas a 60fps display is only accurate to the nearest 16.67ms.

If you've memorized a song in Taiko, sure you can play it without the screen. ^^
Gemi

MetalMario201 wrote:

Gemi wrote:

Echo wrote:

;)
The screen tells you where to click, and coarsely tells you when to hit, via spacing and approach circles.

The music tells you much more finely when to click. If you're good, you can time your hits down to the nearest ~4ms, whereas a 60fps display is only accurate to the nearest 16.67ms.
If we have either the visual or the music, the visual is the more important one to play the game. The audio makes the game enjoyable and gives a meaning to it, but for most of the songs the audio isn't mathematically accurate, but the notes are usually placed mathematically with exactly the same time between them. (or half or double time)

Yes, I agree that audio sync is more important than video sync when we consider the game now, but this doesn't mean that video sync is useless.
awp
It's not useless, it's rough approximation. The music should be used for precision timing.
Gemi

awp wrote:

The music should be used for precision timing.
In a perfect world yes. In reality however most maps are in a different sync when compared to each other and the best way to get into the correct syncl is to get the sync from the visual output. The other possible method is to test the sync a few times before you know what it is, but I personally prefer to read the sync from the approach circles so I don't need to retry a few times to get the sync right.
ThePassingShadow
Anyone ever think about using a well-timed map and using the editor to see how off your UO is ?

I did that once or twice. The wizard really doesn't help me much.
An64fan
Guys, really, certainly the approach circle acts as a guide, but once you're playing some really hard maps that's all they are; a guide. You're not going to be using them to determine the precise timing on such a map.

@MetalMario: I think you mean accurate within ~1.67ms.
Cyclone
1000/60 = 16.67
An64fan
Where the hell do you guys get 1000 from anyways?!

1 second = 100 milliseconds, doesn't it? Or have I really lost it now?
0_o
Acolmixtli
I really don't see the slight resemblance on a arrow that slides up and the osu circles...

Usually there is a beat you go with, just like in DDR. I actually don't wait for the arrow to exactly align.
Echo

An64fan wrote:

1 second = 100 milliseconds
1 metre = 1000 millimetres
1 litre = 1000 millilitres
1 gram = 1000 milligrams

etc., etc.
mattyu007
Gemi
Echo
peppy
anonymous_old

An64fan wrote:

Guys, really, certainly the approach circle acts as a guide, but once you're playing some really hard maps that's all they are; a guide. You're not going to be using them to determine the precise timing on such a map.
I have issues similar to the OP only on EASIER songs. That is, songs with one beat every measure, or something. The beat isn't common enough for me to get tuned into it, so I have to rely mostly on visuals. I would prefer the approach circle being 'in' the outer border of the hit circle. I will try the suggestion of editing the image.
Gemi
Echo
Songs with drifting sync should have been fixed during modding before being ranked.

I haven't played many recently (ie. last few months) ranked songs, but the only song that springs to mind as something that *really* trips me up due to drifiting sync is parapara.

mm201

Gemi wrote:

Also beatmaps following the vocals often have problems since the vocals aren't mathematically perfectly spaced but the notes often are, leading to multiple notes being in incorrect sync.
A funny thing about how the brain works is that even the vocals aren't 100% precisely timed, you hear them that way anyway. A player will have no problems evening them out, using the background rhythm as a guide.

I have no doubts that there's going to be the oddball visual player out there now and again, and I would support the addition of a "universal frame offset" feature, or something of the like, to combat display lag, but what you're asking is to change a fundamental aspect of the game mechanics. We might as well change DDR so that you step when an arrow hits the middle of the screen. It's not the game.

Universal frame offset--offset the passage of video frames to synchronize perfectly with the music: Good feature request. (albeit trivial)
Changing the approach circle distance for when we should click: Bad feature request. LH already gave you a workaround, anyway.
Gemi
mm201
No they're not. One adjusts the entire video--storyboarding, animations, ..., and only by a couple of frames. The other changes the appearance of the approach circled drastically.
anonymous_old

MetalMario201 wrote:

No they're not. One adjusts the entire video--storyboarding, animations, ..., and only by a couple of frames. The other changes the appearance of the approach circled drastically.
The full adjust includes the approach circle adjustment. I see your point, though; there is a slight difference as some users may want a global frame offset and others may just want the circle adjustment. Then again, I don't think a story board being three frames off is that big of a deal; the approach circles are more important for gameplay.
kideddie1501
boo! this suggestion sucks! :x
Zatoichi

kideddie1501 wrote:

boo! this suggestion sucks! :x
I fail to see how this actually ontopic.

On an unrelated note, why does the ':x' command not show a face having a x?