forum

[Archived] Inquiry about fps on Laptops.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Arkonite
Question:
Is it normal for Osu to run at a maximum 360 fps under these specs?

*Compatibility mode is on (Has lower fps if off)
*Already set to use Gtx (Has lower fps while using integrated)
Specs:
Windows 10
I5-9300h
Intel UHD 630
GTX 1660ti
4 Gb Ddr4 Ram

osu! version: Stable 20200811.2 (latest)
ZachoGamer
You're not the only one with this problem. I get that amount of fps too with good specs.
Tobias Leander
I was getting about 1000fps with my gtx 1660ti, might be caused because of a bottleneck of some sort, if you are using a mobile/laptop version of the gtx 1660ti that might be normal make sure in the nvidia control panel that it is set to maximum performance and that in your intel control panel that power saving is disabled and that it is set to performance, putting in the power-cord could also juice up the fps.
SomeonewithaPC
Nah, I have the same issue, it's because most laptops are actually hybrids. Your native screen isn't using your 1660ti. It's using your crappy intel HD. Yes, you may be running the game with your dedicated GPU, but the screen is using your IGPU. So this ultimately leads to a huge bottleneck, that, if you connect an external monitor, won't exist anymore. It's like using the HDMI port on the motherboard instead of the GPU output in a conventional computer. As an example, my 1050 runs it at about 1400 fps when hooked to a monitor, however, it only goes up to 380 when it's using the native screen, even though they're the same resolution.

Fairly sure this isn't fixable, without some massive modding or taking many risks, so it's moslty not worth it. Try testing a TV or smth, while trying to check how high the FPS goes. If it's >1000, then yeah, if you wanna high fps, buy a monitor.
Topic Starter
Arkonite
So is this problem limited to osu? Also, will this be fixed in lazer?
SomeonewithaPC
Nope. This is always a problem, however, it usually only arrives when you need really high FPS. I'm no tech major, so I may be wrong, but no. There is no way for your laptop integrated screen to bypass your IGPU if it's a hybrid. That's why I asked you to test with a TV screen or something like that, through an HDMI port, since those do bypass the IGPU

Edit: Fuck, I just made a massive oversight. Did you try uncapping the FPS through the game?
Topic Starter
Arkonite

SomeonewithaPC wrote:

Edit: Fuck, I just made a massive oversight. Did you try uncapping the FPS through the game?
Yeap, the problem still persists. As I do not have an external monitor, staying at a stable 3 ms is all well and good. It's just kind of disappointing to know that hybrid laptops are fundamentally flawed in design. I'll keep that in mind. Thank you very much.
agurkmeister
I have the same problem and there doesn't really seem to be a way to fix it.

Just try setting nvidia graphics to max performance and disabling power saving mode and stuff.

The one thing i know fixes this completely is playing osu over linux which doesn't have this problem at all. It just runs sort of... weirdly? I guess that's because it needs a windows emulator to work.
And also the only tablet driver that works is opentabletdriver, but even with that there's a horrible delay on the pen movement in linux. And that's not to mention, you're literally switching your operating system to something completely foreign, which basically has no native support for anything that a regular windows user needs.

Note: In linux I got approx. 1400fps.

My pc specs:
i7-9750H
GTX 1660Ti (mobile)
16gb ram (idk what mhz cuz laptop)
JULIANLOL1234
For some reason I can get 900fps+ when plugged into my monitor but when my laptop is not plugged into my monitor I get 200fps.

My laptop specs

Intel i5 11300h

GTX 1650

16GB DDR4 ram

512GB SSD

144HZ display