forum

I know there is a modding queue, but is there such a thing as a feedback queue?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
thefightingman
Since I started mapping a few days ago I already learned a lot, mainly about mentality and approach. I joined a mapping discord and I was told that '' Modding improves the map, feedback improves the mapper.'' I was also told I shouldn't worry too much about the maps themselves and instead just focus on my development.

Sooo...is there anywhere I could queue for or request such feedback? I did ask in the server, but obviously I can't expect them to hold my hand so I'll try to find other avenues. (They already gave me a big chunk 2 days ago, they seem busy right now).

Anywhere else I could find people who are keen to help new mappers?

If any of you happen to be such people, it's my 2nd map I'd like feedback for:

beatmapsets/1230755#osu/2558662

Only the first 0:36 is mapped (up until the vocals) I just want to know if I'm off to the right direction.

About the 'triangle streams':
People in the discord suggested I pay attention to the kick and the snare during the streams. Originally I just had these huge streams snaking around the map, only paying attention to the guitar, but when they told me about this I noticed that the 5th note that happened to fall near the top of the background triangle had a kick on it. I had a little giggle to myself 'wouldn't it be funny if I could map theese streams around the background triangle?'. So I used the kick to change direction towards the other tip of the triangle and to my absolute shock the 2nd kick fell EXACTLY ON THE OTHER CORNER.

At that point I just had to do it :D
Asphiee
Some modders will leave general feedback instead of individual mods if your map has still so many room for improvements something like this. So, yeah, you can just post your map in Modding Queue.

If you want just a feedback that only ends in "pretty good, but i think you still need to improve", why not just get a random player and ask for a testplay? You can also make a [feedback] request in #modreqs or ask for a BN or the guys in #modhelp.
Topic Starter
thefightingman
Sweet thanks for the suggestion, that would be the in-game chat right? Is there an official format or do I just go 'hey, I made this map, tell me what I'm missing as a mapper'?

Also, at what point can I approach BN's? I heard that they are like minor deities and you have to sacrifice a virgin to get their attention. I don't want to piss them off with my trashy maps, they might just ignore me even harder.
Asphiee

thefightingman wrote:

Sweet thanks for the suggestion, that would be the in-game chat right? Is there an official format or do I just go 'hey, I made this map, tell me what I'm missing as a mapper'?

- that would be put the one you're asking in a tough spot... something like 'hey, can anyone/you testplay my map i'd like to know what you think about it?' something like that

Also, at what point can I approach BN's? I heard that they are like minor deities and you have to sacrifice a virgin to get their attention. I don't want to piss them off with my trashy maps, they might just ignore me even harder.
- well, they're not really superior beings. think of them as experienced modders with nomination ability and at the end of the day they're just human. but they're very busy and i think more mentally exhausted than an average modder/mapper. just pm them and ask for a feedback if they say no, move on to another. but im still a non-ranked mapper so i'm just speaking from my little experience
Topic Starter
thefightingman
Thanks again...I'm just petrified to PM them.

There's a guy who's like 3rd down the BN list with a picture that's something like 'if you map x like this don't bother talking to me'. I'm sure you can understand why I'm very nervous to message people like that, especially if it can negatively stain my mapping career for good.
Asphiee

thefightingman wrote:

Thanks again...I'm just petrified to PM them.

There's a guy who's like 3rd down the BN list with a picture that's something like 'if you map x like this don't bother talking to me'. I'm sure you can understand why I'm very nervous to message people like that, especially if it can negatively stain my mapping career for good.
ahh i think i know that guy lmaoo, its just the usual; there's toxic and there's good guys.
TheKingHenry

Asphyre wrote:

well, they're not really superior beings
of course I am, what are you talking about /s

Like Asphyre said, there are of course many different kinds of BNs as there are different kinds of people, and some might be genuinely more intimidating to approach. In any case, it also depends on what kind of approach you're going for. Even that dude who's like "do x and you ded", will likely not mind that much if you go in as a new mapper asking for quick feedback or advice or similar. It's the nomination process and requests regarding that that will be more strict, they expect you to know what you're doing to some level. Anyhow you probably had the nomination business in mind anyways so maybe this was not exactly on the point here, though if newbie feedback is what you're looking for, experienced people are often open for that, just check their profiles for more info.

Anyways for BNs, just remember to check their profiles first and get some kind of grasp on what they like. Essentially, target your requests to people who would most likely be interested in your stuff. This when you're at that point in your mapping that is. And also remember to of course follow their ways of accepting requests ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

For the queue business; in some queues, there is actually straightforward the option to ask for light feedback, so you can occasionally actually just target that type of mod in your request.

Also finally,

thefightingman wrote:

especially if it can negatively stain my mapping career for good.
Not very likely, unless you also handle the exchange really badly on conversational level of the things, and even then you gotta do something real stupid to do it "for good". But not that I can talk about how other BNs react to things ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Topic Starter
thefightingman
Oh Hey King Henry, I heard great things about you actually, I've been told that...

TheKingHenry wrote:

Anyways for BNs, just remember to check their profiles first and get some kind of grasp on what they like. Essentially, target your requests to people who would most likely be interested in your stuff.
...it is in fact You and Bill who will be interested in Metal, which is what I want to work on (mainly). I've been told that I'm going to have problems with like 80% of the BNs because they mostly rate anime music. (don't want to use potentially offensive words here)

I've had someone help me out last night, looked at my map and gave me some pointers, so I will implement his feedback, do like 1.5-2 minutes of the song before I look for more advice.

He gave me the homework of looking through the maps of various metal mappers (including yours) and study their patterns, slider design and just generally how they approach stuff, so that's what I'll do today. When I have a more mature concept I'd like to get in touch sometimes this weekend if that's ok?

So any BN, Mod and Experienced Mapper is okay to just PM in the osu! community? (assuming I read and followed their rules) I'm not sure what the exact standards are like.
TheKingHenry

thefightingman wrote:

So any BN, Mod and Experienced Mapper is okay to just PM in the osu! community? (assuming I read and followed their rules) I'm not sure what the exact standards are like.
if they don't explicitly forbid you from PMing them, you probably won't at least be executed on the spot when you do so :^)