forum

Mappers don't know the difference between rock and metal

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
N3gev
I was browsing around beatmap listing, looking for good metal map, but was unable to. Then I searched my favorite metal song, discovering it was under rock genre. I was really pissed. After that I found multiple maps that have the same issue, being under rock genre while actually being a metal song. For example, Galneryus - Raise my sword mapped by beem2137 and Yousei Teikoku - Shadow Corps mapped by IsomirDiAngelois are both under rock genre, whilist both being clearly metal. And because of that, I was convinced that mappers don't know difference between rock and metal. Difference between these two genres are in sound and BPM(depends on subgenre). Sound on metal is way heavier than on rock. BPM on metal is usually(depends on subgenre) faster than rock.

Edit: Typo
BR41N
Kinda surprised that these maps don't include both rock and metal in their tags (unless they do), since it would make it more likely that people come across the map.
Raiden
That's because the Metal genre was added only recently, and as such metal songs that were mapped previously have the "Rock" or "Other" categorization. Also not all metal sounds heavier than rock, considering the vast amount of metal subgenres there are.

Oh by the way, it's "BPM" :P
TheKingHenry

Raiden wrote:

That's because the Metal genre was added only recently, and as such metal songs that were mapped previously have the "Rock" or "Other" categorization. Also not all metal sounds heavier than rock, considering the vast amount of metal subgenres there are.

Oh by the way, it's "BPM" :P
/thread
pretty much this

BR41N wrote:

Kinda surprised that these maps don't include both rock and metal in their tags (unless they do), since it would make it more likely that people come across the map.
The "problem" with this kind of approach would be adding technically wrong genres to a map. The same way it'd help someone find something they were looking for, it will pop up in someone's feed that was not looking for stuff like it. I'd only add both of them for stuff that is in the grey areas, and thus "should" have both of the tags, or at least would only greatly benefit from it.