forum

Too many songs that I want to map

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
bot_david
I think this might be a common occurence to mappers. but i know this is all too common for myself.
So basically the premise is you found another cool ass song that you think would be cool to see as a map, you started to imagine the patterns and slider shapes. Then you check the beatmap listings and searched for that song but found none. You started to get psyched to actually map the song yourself, but then you realize you have all this 15 other songs you planned to map also found the same way.
These days I have less time than I used to and I really can only afford to focus on a single project.
Does this happen to you?
If yes, how do you pick which one you'd do first?
Zelzatter Zero
All the time. Most mappers map song they like lul.

Usually I just wait for a little more time to see if there's still a song I really desired to map, to the point that I can't stand not making one despite having a set of the song already or not, then I go to the editor and let my mind do its work.
TheKingHenry
Yes it does. A lot.

Since I map so painfully slowly, my process is mainly emphasizing efficient usage of time. Essentially, I time a lot of songs, more on a whim, when I feel like they could be nice to map at some point. But I only start mapping a song when I actually have the main ideas and structure ready in my head, so I only need to do the execution, since it still takes way too much time.

Well, it still usually ends up with half dozen ready-to-be-mapped plans in my mind at any given time.

Don't worry too much about not eventually getting around to mapping everything you'd like to map, since that will not happen, or at least that's the case with me. Just focus on the one you feel most inspired about at that point or something ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Topic Starter
bot_david

TheKingHenry wrote:

Yes it does. A lot.

Since I map so painfully slowly, my process is mainly emphasizing efficient usage of time. Essentially, I time a lot of songs, more on a whim, when I feel like they could be nice to map at some point. But I only start mapping a song when I actually have the main ideas and structure ready in my head, so I only need to do the execution, since it still takes way too much time.

Well, it still usually ends up with half dozen ready-to-be-mapped plans in my mind at any given time.

Don't worry too much about not eventually getting around to mapping everything you'd like to map, since that will not happen, or at least that's the case with me. Just focus on the one you feel most inspired about at that point or something ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
This is pretty much the case with me too, I have like several maps ready yet haven't submitted because I feel they didn't turned out as good as expected and several dozens more, timed and ready to be mapped. But theres too many banger song which made it hard for me to pick which one should I do. Of course the general line is that Im just frustrated so I just need to get this outta my chest. But yes I wish I can easily pick what I should map or just be able to map faster. But I'm still pretty new and my workflow is still very slow.
My tactic is the same as yours but sometimes when I started to get the general idea I never get to map it because I get distracted by other things including other Songs.
Chiru-kun
i realized i can't wait to find a song i like. so i set a goal some months back. my original goal some few months ago was to map a twin-concept album totaling about 20 vocal songs and 8 instrumentals. luckily for me, i LOVE this album and this artist. there are songs i'm fond of, songs i'm not too, but they switch up every now and then through my time with the album. now see, i'm no speedmapper so i can't find myself to get through all of it. and when i finish a map back then, i get slumped since i wasn't well developed in my mapping style back then.

i guess something to battle this is to not [necessarily] map for rank since it takes damned amount of time to make low diffs. there are occasions where i end up trying to rank the set (happened on 2 occasions) then i stopped trying to rank at all. it helps but i'm not satisfied.

the way i choose from those albums... i map something, finish, then i get stuck. hopelessly. i wait and re-listen to the albums for hours on end. and then, something appears in the head. like the others said, if only i have a strong idea for the concept, the gimmick, the relative style and if i will change something in my thought process... if i have a strong idea of how that's all going to play out, then nice. if it ends up being stuck for a few hand-countable days, abandon. my goal was to map the album. not the song necessarily at that order. so i can forgive myself.

now, i was really tired of that back and forth thought process, and my mapping style hasn't even fully developed yet, in my perspective. so my mind moved to the new album of the same artist. great. couldn't finish. but eh... it should be fine i guess. anyway, i have no plan on abandoning that project (it would be interesting to see my, perhaps, 4 year improvement in one project hahaha); however, i need a ton of time which i can't really afford right now. so i just forgive myself for it.

this process allowed my to map only 4 vocal songs and 1 instrumental, unfortunately. but i'd say it's pretty fine for an average mapper.

i say this at my own risk, but now that i've developed myself in mapping a bit, i can probably go back to those albums. i can probably think up something this time. but i'm already stuck at their new album!!! hahaha. and i don't have the luxury of summer vacation anymore.

talking about thinking up something, i think that it is by having the aim to map a twin-album and not a song that i am able to try and pull ideas to myself, instead of waiting for them to come to me.

just be confident about your mapping style right now. that's what you have currently, and you can look back at it sometime soon. but if you keep it, you'll improve from A to B and realize you want to go to C, then stop again. if you can't be proud of your own style, just develop it for a while. though it still does happen to me sometimes lol (like what i said when an idea gets stuck).
Adinda
True ,it happens to me , basically happens to most mappers that really dedicated into mapping i think ,and im one of them.I already have several maps that already upload too but bcs the limit of uploading i cant do upload to bss :3 i usually pick the song that i much like to do first