forum

Pattern Flow Construction

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Asphiee
I've been pondering about this for a while. This is the conclusion I've reached; my flow doesn't resonate with the players well. I'll be watching [0ugi] stream at 6 to further gain knowledge about mapping. Also does few 1 on 1 discussion with every mapper/modder ranked or non ranked ones, it doesn't really lead to some sour conversation (haven't experienced that) as long as there's no party that will act more superior I mean be an as asshole and if there's one you probably should be the one to be mature enough to talk things through.

Uhh, so point is, I want any suggestion or your knowledge of mapping-- flow construction to be exact. I don't care who you are, feel free to send your thoughts out in the open. Take a screenshot of your pattern / flow then give an explanation. Lengthy one would be good.

Can't send anything right now, I'm on the 📱 so let's start out with poster below. I want everyone to be open minded in this discussion so no assholes allowed. It's a good way to gain knowledge. So, start!
Chiru-kun
i'm also on the phone right now, so will only share what i think about flow.

personally, i don't care about strict consistent flow, as long as it's "good," but saying that contributes nothing to the conversation.

when i started out mapping, circular flow was something i racked my head over. it caused me to be able to do so little in large amounts of time. needing to focus on going clockwise here then counter clockwise there was sad. so my conclusion was that really, flow is unnecessary to rack over so specifically and consistently.

i have a preference for false direction snapping. for example, in my map of Dakara Boku wa Ongaku o Yameta, my preferences shifted towards moving backwards when i moved forwards. in the section with the four strongest piano slams, they all went downwards really fast, then back up to the next slam. i do show some circular parts, but they are miniscule. it may have been unintentional, but i personally don't feel those miniscule circular parts by not making them obvious and by switching looks up. another example is my double slider habit in my
Ame Haruru map.

you know how when doing circular flow, they tell you to switch it up every other section so that it feels consistent and comfy? i think ended up with "by ignoring flow, it gets random such that the clockwise, counterclockwise, upwards snap which comes from downwards sliders, all of that will balance out and so it wont feel like there's just one" kind of idea.

if you check my recent maps like Shisouhan and Hana ni Bourei, this seems like a lie. i'd say its because of my recent style warm up to more, and sorry if this sounds bad, "normal" mapping and also because of an album gimmick.
Topic Starter
Asphiee
glad you shared this, seen your works and its really mapped how the song feels. its a work of art ngl