forum

[Proposal-Mania] Change some duplicated phrases in 7K hard guidelines

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Garalulu

Additional guidelines for 7 key Hard difficulties wrote:

Keep chord distance in a chordstream at a 1/1 or higher interval. Anything denser than that can hurt readability.
Occasional hands can be used in streams, so long as they are separated by at least one measure (4 beats).
First Sentence : Chord / 2 or more notes, 1/1 or higher
Second Sentence : Hand / 3 notes, at least one measure (4 beats) / 1/1 or higher

I think the latter is a subset of the former, Chord can be Hand and 1/1 is 4 beats, same with one measure.
Anyway It's for hard diff so Chord that is more than 3 notes can't be used in chordstream, we can rewrite these;

Keep distance of chord with less than 4 notes in a chordstream at a 1/1 or higher interval. Anything denser than that can hurt readability.
additionally we can add "using a quad at the beginning/end of a stream is fine." too, I wanna hear some opinion for this!
Arzenvald
I'm fine with the phrase change, such stream pattern (312121-) (21122-) can be used sparingly and suitable for hard diff.

But I'm not so sure with quads (4121- as it's too early for hard diff
Topic Starter
Garalulu
nah the quad for start/end only, I don't think it effects too much for that players

I think double can be placed 3 times in a row at stream but we should handle pattern-ish discussion later, this time for just rewording phrases
Madoka2574
Well, the proposed RC seems harder than the current RC.

I don't think the latter is a subset of the former. If u follow the guideline "Occasional hands can be used in streams, so long as they are separated by at least one measure (4 beats)", then u will only be able to use jumps every 1/1 beat, as jump is also a chord and hands should be 4/1 beats from each other. These 2 sentences have limited the density of a stream.

U can only use 3111 2111 2111 2111 3111... (Yeah actually the "chord" in the first sentence is definitely jumps if u follow both 2 guidelines.)

But saying "Keep distance of chord with less than 4 notes in a chordstream at a 1/1 or higher interval" will lead to 1/1 hands in a stream, which is obviously harder than what current RC permits.

So u can use 3111 3111 3111...

I'm not talking about if either one is suitable for Hard, I'm just saying this is not a "rewrite" because their limitations are not on equal levels.
Topic Starter
Garalulu

Avoid chords with more than 4 notes. This includes long note patterns that involve notes in more than four columns.
Avoid anchors consisting of five or more notes. While they are easy for players to read, longer anchors are strenuous.
Keep chord distance in a chordstream at a 1/1 or higher interval. Anything denser than that can hurt readability.
Occasional hands can be used in streams, so long as they are separated by at least one measure (4 beats).
ok I confused about what 'beat' means but there is still an error. why did you restrict 'chord' to 'jump' when the guideline says 'Avoid chords with more than 4 notes'? it can be triple and quad at current state.

I rather use 'double' for avoiding confusion then.

Keep distance of the double in a chordstream at a 1/1 or higher interval. Anything denser than that can hurt readability.
Occasional triple can be used in streams, so long as they are separated by at least one measure (4 beats).

still not a big fan for using jump / hand for main wording rather than double / triple. it was used in a very limited field (ITG, stepmania) only and not friendly for new mappers, double / triple is more intuitive because they are used for arithmetic. wanna use them for 7K at least now.
Madoka2574
If u use triples then u will break guideline that "Occasional hands can be used in streams, so long as they are separated by at least one measure (4 beats)."

This is restricted in a stream, but not for all patterns. U are surely allowed to use triples more if u are just mapping 1/2 snaps.

Ah actually I usually use doubles/triples too. Saying jumps/hands was just to be like guidelines~

Well current RC seems clear enough to me tho. I am not against changing some phrases, just trying to understand what ur new sentences mean so that it won't become more confusing than current ones.
Feerum
Hmmm.. i an actually not really sure about this. With your wording we will allow harder pattern in 7K Hard difficulties.
There is a difference between the term "Measure" and "Beat"

A Beat is 1/1 long
A Measure is 4/1 long (4 beats, considering the timing signature is 4/4)

The current wording of the first guideline allows to have a chord every beat. This chord can be under the current wording max 4 notes. (Because of a different guideline)

The second guideline although limits the hand usage to max every measure (That means, depending on the timing signature (Let's take 4/4 for this example), the hand can occur only every 4th beat (4/1).

It's not an elegant way and i agree that this could need an cleanup.
But with your wording we would allow hands every 1/1 beat. That means a chord stream could consist of hands only. Which is like a no-go for me in a Hard difficulty.

----------

Therefore my suggestion would be we remove the first mentioned additional guideline completely. The reason is because it's basically the same as following:
Chords within 1/4 streams should be at least 1/1 beat apart from each other. More dense usage of chords is too difficult for players of this skill level.
And this one is already a guideline which applies to all key-modes.

As next step, we re-write the 2nd mentioned guideline to following:
Chords with more than two notes within a stream should be at least 2/1 beat apart from each other. Denser usage of more-noted chords can hurt readability
This wording will loose up the hand-guideline which restricts it currently to 4/1 beats. This will give more freedom in hand-usage. Furthermore it would even allow to use 4-noted chords together with following guideline:
>Avoid chords with more than 4 notes. This includes long note patterns that involve notes in more than four columns.

Although i am really unsure if 4-noted chords really should be used in a Hard difficulty in the middle of a stream. I can imagine them for let a stream pattern begin or end, but not in the middle of it.

Edit:
Yeah 4-Noted chords in the middle of a stream seem really be too hard. Therefore another suggestion to add following additional 7K guideline:
Chords with more than three notes within a stream can be used to begin and to end a stream pattern
lenpai

Feerum wrote:

Although i am really unsure if 4-noted chords really should be used in a Hard difficulty in the middle of a stream. I can imagine them for let a stream pattern begin or end, but not in the middle of it.

Edit:
Yeah 4-Noted chords in the middle of a stream seem really be too hard. Therefore another suggestion to add following additional 7K guideline:
Chords with more than three notes within a stream can be used to begin and to end a stream pattern
just adding on to this, for hards, quads should generally be isolated chords or cover stand-out loud sounds.

---------------------------------------------------------

On a side note, I want to add an exception case for 7k (maybe 6k, 8-9k as well that's open for discussion) as Hard diffs need more transition material to Insane level chordstreams (particularly for lower bpm charts).

Since by RC terms, a double is already considered to be a chord, and this guideline exists

With this in place, do take notice that the a couple of low bpm chordstream charts can fit well into the hard difficulty and would yield a more organic difficulty gap between diffs rather than having to make another hard diff due to the guideline violation.

This material is generally fulfilled by older charts like.

b/841215 (130 base which is like 195 BPM 1/3rds)
beatmapsets/155439#mania/381255 (120 base but translates to 180 bpm 1/3rds which still falls under chordstreaming for some of its patterns)
beatmapsets/409440#mania/888794 (usage of doubles for every 1/2 lasting for 1/1 in the chordstream)
beatmapsets/383775#mania/838830 (128bpm base)
b/1704900 a more recent example
beatmapsets/378669#mania/829079 extreme case and old chart but some of the chordstreams here should make a point
and others

While I don't have concrete examples for 1/3 chordstreaming, it would be possible that the guideline can potentially adversely affect chordstreaming in 1/3 for charts around the 180 BPM mark. So some leniency should be applied on the usage of doubles within chordstreams.

Should there be concerns about how this would generally affect he 7k hard diff mapping scene and accessibility from other players, quality checks with ensuring diff gaps between diffs are sensible and avoiding major diffspikes seems to be already properly exercised considering the BN pool.
Noffy
Archived as the discussion has been inactive for a long time. Please contact a NAT/GMT to move it back if you would like to continue the discussion.