forum

VIBRO-related question... Tensing?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
fuccthat
My first rhythm game which most resembled mania was actually on Roblox (RoBeats). A couple of weeks into playing, I had soon found out that I wasn't fast enough for a lot of the maps, even though I could read them almost perfectly. I tried to find a way around this and started to tense my arms and vibrate them. I controlled how much tension there was to help me gain more speed.

I had quit RoBeats out of pure frustration for the game (the game is trash) before I completely got a hang of tensing my arms. I'm not quite sure how this works, or how what I'm doing is called. If I knew where to start looking for information, I would. I'm stuck at the point where I know what I'm trying to find, but I don't have enough information to.

If anyone has anything, please tell me.
Lights
based on your profile, nothing you're playing is even close to vibro.

Doc1444 wrote:

I had soon found out that I wasn't fast enough for a lot of the maps, even though I could read them almost perfectly.
being able to properly execute upon a pattern is part of reading. 99% of the time some says what you just said, the reality of the situation is you can't read it as well as you think you can and you havent built the muscle memory to play the patterns properly.

Likewise, tensing your muscles too much to mash patterns you cant manage is more than likely just going to allow you to injure yourself. not to mention that spamming lets you get a false sense of improvement- you don't actually learn to play anything when you mash out a fast section.

If you genuinely want to improve at the game and "get faster" stick with the 2.5-3.5 star range for a while until you've built consistency there, then start trying to dabble in the 3.5-4.25 star range.

If you just want to farm pp on overrated files, then continue on your current path.
Topic Starter
fuccthat

Lights wrote:

Doc1444 wrote:

I had soon found out that I wasn't fast enough for a lot of the maps, even though I could read them almost perfectly.
being able to properly execute upon a pattern is part of reading. 99% of the time some says what you just said, the reality of the situation is you can't read it as well as you think you can and you havent built the muscle memory to play the patterns properly.

Likewise, tensing your muscles too much to mash patterns you cant manage is more than likely just going to allow you to injure yourself. not to mention that spamming lets you get a false sense of improvement- you don't actually learn to play anything when you mash out a fast section.

If you genuinely want to improve at the game and "get faster" stick with the 2.5-3.5 star range for a while until you've built consistency there, then start trying to dabble in the 3.5-4.25 star range.

If you just want to farm pp on overrated files, then continue on your current path.
I understand. Do you have any ideas on where I can find more information on vibro and it’s techniques? I’d like to at least understand everything before I can start it.
[LS]PositoniX

Doc1444 wrote:

Lights wrote:

Doc1444 wrote:

I understand. Do you have any ideas on where I can find more information on vibro and it’s techniques? I’d like to at least understand everything before I can start it.
vibro is when you're hitting 35+ keys per second. this is so fast to the point it can't easily be hit by the traditional jack methods. not only is this likely far above your range, it's also extremely unneeded. im #4.9k and i've still barely touched vibro. dont worry about playing vibro for now. something different but similar to vibro is called jacks, jackspeed, minijack, longjack, and speedjack. basically hitting the same notes repeatedly, but is much slower and doesnt force you to tense your arms. it's more like 3-5 keys per second per finger, or 12-20 keys per second in total. it's pretty much all you need for your level.
Topic Starter
fuccthat

PositoniX wrote:

Doc1444 wrote:

Lights wrote:

Doc1444 wrote:

vibro is when you're hitting 35+ keys per second. this is so fast to the point it can't easily be hit by the traditional jack methods. not only is this likely far above your range, it's also extremely unneeded. im #4.9k and i've still barely touched vibro. dont worry about playing vibro for now. something different but similar to vibro is called jacks, jackspeed, minijack, longjack, and speedjack. basically hitting the same notes repeatedly, but is much slower and doesnt force you to tense your arms. it's more like 3-5 keys per second per finger, or 12-20 keys per second in total. it's pretty much all you need for your level.
One of my goals will require me to be able to handle 60kps. I need to be able to understand vibro.
Evening
iirc it's not well documented, don't think you can get good information from anywhere

my take is that the more you practise vibro you can improve the following:

1. Transition time between non-vibro and vibro
2. Wrist Flicking/Vibro instead of Arm Vibroing which is more practical. This is because you can transit between non-vibro and vibro much quicker without having to change positions
3. Consistency, sometimes your vibro will randomly stop for a few notes, think that can be improved
4. Speed, it's a debatable topic, but I believe that you can improve vibro speed but only to a maximum of around 15 NPS per column
5. Pattern playing, this would likely be the hardest since you need to know how fast you're going and know when to play certain chords. It'll be the easiest if the pattern is just the same chord over and over

as a precaution, you can hurt yourself doing this, so practise with limits

---

usages

I personally use wrist vibro every now and then to do quick jack bursts ~ 200 BPM, learning how to just vibro with the wrist is much more advantageous than using the whole arm, in which I think is what you're doing now.

Otherwise, I don't think it's practical since vibro is a hard to control technique to sync with certain maps, but I can see how it'd be fun to try out.

as always practise it with limits
Topic Starter
fuccthat

Evening wrote:

iirc it's not well documented, don't think you can get good information from anywhere

my take is that the more you practise vibro you can improve the following:

1. Transition time between non-vibro and vibro
2. Wrist Flicking/Vibro instead of Arm Vibroing which is more practical. This is because you can transit between non-vibro and vibro much quicker without having to change positions
3. Consistency, sometimes your vibro will randomly stop for a few notes, think that can be improved
4. Speed, it's a debatable topic, but I believe that you can improve vibro speed but only to a maximum of around 15 NPS per column
5. Pattern playing, this would likely be the hardest since you need to know how fast you're going and know when to play certain chords. It'll be the easiest if the pattern is just the same chord over and over

as a precaution, you can hurt yourself doing this, so practise with limits

---

usages

I personally use wrist vibro every now and then to do quick jack bursts ~ 200 BPM, learning how to just vibro with the wrist is much more advantageous than using the whole arm, in which I think is what you're doing now.

Otherwise, I don't think it's practical since vibro is a hard to control technique to sync with certain maps, but I can see how it'd be fun to try out.

as always practise it with limits
Thank you very much. I’ll make sure to note this down.
[LS]PositoniX

Doc1444 wrote:

PositoniX wrote:

Doc1444 wrote:

Lights wrote:

Doc1444 wrote:

One of my goals will require me to be able to handle 60kps. I need to be able to understand vibro.
it's good to have an ambition but please understand that you cant just decide to want to be able to vibro 60kps one day and be able to do it the next day. literally only 1 or 2 people on this entire planet can even come close to that, and they can only do it with brute force and on a good day. hell, i've been playing for 2 years now and i cant even vibro 32 kps. you currently just dont have enough power as a player in order to play vibro, and besides, not only is it not very useful, it's also very hard to learn and master and requires a lot of pre-existing stamina and jackspeed.
Topic Starter
fuccthat

PositoniX wrote:

Doc1444 wrote:

PositoniX wrote:

Doc1444 wrote:

Lights wrote:

Doc1444 wrote:

it's good to have an ambition but please understand that you cant just decide to want to be able to vibro 60kps one day and be able to do it the next day. literally only 1 or 2 people on this entire planet can even come close to that, and they can only do it with brute force and on a good day. hell, i've been playing for 2 years now and i cant even vibro 32 kps. you currently just dont have enough power as a player in order to play vibro, and besides, not only is it not very useful, it's also very hard to learn and master and requires a lot of pre-existing stamina and jackspeed.
I don’t expect to be able to do something in a day. I just need to know exactly what I’m dealing with so that I will head in the direction of my goals. Workouts and proper training with a lot of time is necessary before this insane feat can even be close to being attempted. I don’t have the power right now, which is why I need to know what to do before I get any habits and training.
Lights

Doc1444 wrote:

PositoniX wrote:

Doc1444 wrote:

PositoniX wrote:

Doc1444 wrote:

Lights wrote:

Doc1444 wrote:

I don’t expect to be able to do something in a day. I just need to know exactly what I’m dealing with so that I will head in the direction of my goals. Workouts and proper training with a lot of time is necessary before this insane feat can even be close to being attempted. I don’t have the power right now, which is why I need to know what to do before I get any habits and training.
You're far more likely to fail at accomplishing that if you don't take your time to master the basics of the game. revisit this topic in a few years if its truly your goal.
Topic Starter
fuccthat

Lights wrote:

You're far more likely to fail at accomplishing that if you don't take your time to master the basics of the game. revisit this topic in a few years if its truly your goal.
Understood. Do you have any information on the basics? I would like to study it and base a few goals and train to master the basics.
Lights

Doc1444 wrote:

Lights wrote:

Understood. Do you have any information on the basics? I would like to study it and base a few goals and train to master the basics.
build proficiency with the standard patterns. streams, jacks, jumpstreams, chordjacks, tech patterns, dump patterns, LNs. and keep a reasonable balance between practicing speed, stamina, and accuracy.

I think at your current level you'd be best off going for 96-97s on upper 2stars, lower 3stars. if you run into certain patterns you struggle with, try to find more maps that feature that pattern prominently. once youre getting consistent scores, bump up the difficulty (whilst not neglecting lower difficulties from time to time).

rinse repeat this until you're in the upper 5star-6star range and can play those sorts of charts with consistency. It would also be wise to play more than just the ranked map pool, theres quite a lot of good maps out there in the loved and unranked categories.

if you want any more specific than that, it'd be wise to read the guide pinned in this subforum or feel free to PM me.
Topic Starter
fuccthat

Lights wrote:

build proficiency with the standard patterns. streams, jacks, jumpstreams, chordjacks, tech patterns, dump patterns, LNs. and keep a reasonable balance between practicing speed, stamina, and accuracy.

I think at your current level you'd be best off going for 96-97s on upper 2stars, lower 3stars. if you run into certain patterns you struggle with, try to find more maps that feature that pattern prominently. once youre getting consistent scores, bump up the difficulty (whilst not neglecting lower difficulties from time to time).

rinse repeat this until you're in the upper 5star-6star range and can play those sorts of charts with consistency. It would also be wise to play more than just the ranked map pool, theres quite a lot of good maps out there in the loved and unranked categories.

if you want any more specific than that, it'd be wise to read the guide pinned in this subforum or feel free to PM me.
I see, thank you.
[LS]PositoniX
this thread is dead but i wanted to add something i think is pretty important. i strongly urge you not to play vibro until you develop a good amount of jumptrilling/quad speed. if you do not have decent speed than you're going to heavily cap how fast you'll be able to vibro. the less speed you have right now, the slower your vibro will be, and the slower it's going to be in the future.