forum

[proposal] clear metadata rules + guidelines on mashups/songs using samples

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Dialect
beatmapsets/404982 got ranked a few years back, and i was wondering, "how are you supposed to name mashups?" would the song be by Triple-Q, or would we have to include "μ's vs Ludacris" in the artist box?

a somewhat similar situation happened with this map, where the map lists it as a remix instead of a standalone song.

my question is, is why is the first one considered a standalone song by Triple-Q, while the other is a remix? triple-q basically did the exact same thing as lil boom and just added a vocal track over another song. no shade on triple-q, but i think it should be considered a remix if lil boom's song is considered a remix of tiny little adiantium (hopefully spelt it right lol)

we should have clear rules when deciding what is a remix and what is not. here's a proposal:

Ranking Criteria wrote:

Songs which remix a sampled song and isn't listed as one (like a mashup between two songs) should have the "vs." or original artist tag in the artist box, followed by the name of the remixed song in parenthesis.
for mashups, i think it'll be easy if we just add the vs. tag to the artist box, and then the two songs in the song box. example (using triple-q's song):

Ludacris vs. μ's - How Low Can You Go vs それは僕たちの奇跡 (Sore wa Bokutachi no Kiseki in rom. field)

i don't think it'd be good to put (Triple-Q remix) next to the song box, because unlike already dead, triple-q uses solely the songs themselves as samples, and not add anything outside of those songs (like how lil boom added a drum track to tiny little adiantium)

although i don't know where the line can be drawn. for example, fatboy slim's music relies solely off of sampling, but the songs themselves don't sound like the original.

i just want to hear you guys' thoughts on this
Zelzatter Zero
As far as I know:

Remixes will have a (Remixer's remix) at the end of the title. The Artist field should still credit the original artist.

Mashups and covers should credit the one who made them (Singer if it's a cover, mashup'er if they made the mashup, and people who made Vocaloid/Utauloid cover if it falls into the same category, etc.). Original artist can be put to tags.

deadman's remix walks on a very thin line between being an actual remix and being a mashup, but I think this can be discussed elsewhere.
Serizawa Haruki
The person who made the remix/mashup is free to name it whatever they want and the metadata provided by them is usually taken without modifying it which is why it can lead to different format across different songs.
Topic Starter
Dialect

Serizawa Haruki wrote:

The person who made the remix/mashup is free to name it whatever they want and the metadata provided by them is usually taken without modifying it which is why it can lead to different format across different songs.
not really talking about remixes (for example, rocketman's remix of world's end dancehall sounds nothing like the original aside from the vocals) more so about songs that use sampled songs and don't use them in a transformative way aside from adding a drum beat or something (like already dead)

for mashups, i don't really think they should be considered remixes, considering they're just 2 songs put together
Topic Starter
Dialect
looking back on it, i don't know if we could be able to apply it. my concern as op is what is considered as such. some artists rely heavily off of sampling (and especially whole genres), so if you think of it, that could be considered a remix.
pishifat

Li Syaoran wrote:

looking back on it, i don't know if we could be able to apply it. my concern as op is what is considered as such. some artists rely heavily off of sampling (and especially whole genres), so if you think of it, that could be considered a remix.
i think you're on point with considering mashups as remixes for osus sake. it's not a super clear line sometimes and treating mashups with the same requirements as remixes when it comes to the rc is most feasible

that said closing