forum

How do you guys encourage yourself to map

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Narrative
Lately, I haven't brought myself to map even after being active about a month ago. Even if I forced myself to map, I either thought it was too bad or I just gave up because I was too lazy.

How do you guys bring yourself to map again?
Zelzatter Zero
Just take a break, roaming around YouTube, Spotify etc. to ease your mind first. If there's a song that you really desire to make a map out of it, go back to the editor and map that song with the flow of your mind. I barely force myself into mapping cuz it will end up nothing.
qwt
watch/play osu

take a break

find a song you like
Asphiee
im always in a slump
rdsdsk2
like a song map it play it yourself cus its fun
Karrayanya
I just found a song I liked and realized there was no map and thought, "this would be cool to play in osu!" so now I'm making it myself for others to play
Plus to me it's whatever I want it to be even if it doesn't get ranked, so as long as it's something I enjoy then I think it's worth the time, although I work on maps passively and not a 25 hours a day 8 days a week
Chiru-kun
community/forums/topics/1058660
dont bump this thread though. this one talks about being slumped or uninspired, but it might also help the case. i love what this guy said to help.

im just gonna tell a timeline instead for my slumps this summer (at my country).

start of summer. goal was to map a set of two albums, but that was too straining so i don't push myself to map all of it. loved the artist, loved the albums. was able to complete 2. even if i loved the song, i couldnt map yet after those two. slumped and uninspired. in the past i had a mindset for making an overly structured map. but i started to hate that. i couldnt give up that style yet so i stopped mapping for a few days. then an idea came to me after re-exploring, repeatedly listening to the 2 albums. the song combined my idea of structural aesthetics and liberality. worked! but that was a special case, for a very unique song. back to my slump. in the middle of this, i was mapping hard difficulties for this other mapper. finally, getting to the next song to map, my style changed concretely. or rather, my values changed, so i could map in that way. this us because by mapping hard diffs of songs i like, i could move myself to be used to liberal styles (as hards dont always offer a structure in plain sight). my old style and mindset died.

maybe theres something you domt like about your mapping, so you cant map that way. try to acknowledge some form of style change or value change. and rest your mind from those styles.

by also considering all the other responses, i think you'll be fine. just take some time. goodluck...~ hope it looks up for you. ^^
abraker
havent touched mapping in a while, but need to start getting motivated for this
supresmesh
Take a break from your map as well as that song if you can. Go play some other maps (difficulty or map status doesn't matter) because sometimes their patterns can be rather interesting or well made and draw inspiration from them. Otherwise just do something else and come back maybe after a day or a week at best and take a look at your map from start to where you left off and try to continue it.

At least that's what I do when I feel like my motivation for a map is low.