forum

Reason for the random frame drops.

posted
Total Posts

In recent weeks have you also expereicned unexpected frame lag.

Yes.
100.00%
No.
0.00%
Total votes: 17
Topic Starter
Scrumpy
Heya guys,

Pretty new around here, but myself and a group of friends were in a Discord call while playing OSU.
I started to drop frames at random intervals & complained about it in the VC, turns out that the others in the call also experienced that same lag.

I live in the UK, one lives in Canada (TgYl) & the other lives in Washington (trollbunny).

We decided that we would play random maps & say whenever we experienced lag- we ended up all reporting lag at the exact same times.

We all have fairly high-end PCs and at the time only had Discord & OSU open, so for us to all experience frame lag at the same time, felt a bit off.

After some brainstorming, we have decided that it's possible this could be due to an anti-cheat or some other system that is streaming our live play data to OSU servers that is randomly experiencing high volumes of traffic & responds by slowing down the game for players as to keep up with the high demand of traffic.

This would explain why 3 separate people from different parts of the world are experiencing lag at the same time.

This is just speculation. However, as this is an issue that we are all facing I thought I would make a post about it in hopes to see if others are also experiencing this issue.

Update #1
The friend who lives in Washington just turned off their internet & played on a couple of maps, they experienced no frame lag during this time. However, me and the Canadian friend did, once again at the same time.

I also made a Reddit thread.
JustABeginner
Have you try changing the framerate by pressing F7?

How about going to the detail settings and disable unnecessary stuff such as shaders and softening filter. Background videos, comboburst and storyboards too can disrupt your gameplay.

If either of these won't work. I suggest you to go to this forum.
community/forums/5
This topic may not be suitable in General Discussion as it is a non-osu topic.
Topic Starter
Scrumpy

JustABeginner wrote:

How about going to the detail settings and disable unnecessary stuff such as shaders and softening filter. Background videos, comboburst and storyboards too can disrupt your gameplay.

community/forums/5
I personally have not, not sure about the others.

I shall try that later today & post the results, although personally I don’t see how this could cause the lag for all of us at the same time on different maps with different setups.
Zelzatter Zero

Scrumpy wrote:

JustABeginner wrote:

community/forums/5
I personally have not, not sure about the others.

I shall try that later today & post the results, although personally I don’t see how this could cause the lag for all of us at the same time on different maps with different setups.
Most, if not all effects that JAB said can make the game render more object due to extra effect requires more thing to do, especially background videos and storyboard, which involves lots of animated frames. That's the reason why it lags mainly on low devices.
Winnyace
I'd suggest seeing the memory and CPU usage, see what eats up resources. Also, because you're new, I'd suggest going into the settings and unchecking stuff like the Storyboard, Background video, shaders and the softening filter because can also eat up performance. I think I saw some videos that go over what settings you should use.

I suspect you run Windows 10, so see if you need an update or if Windows doesn't already do your updates for you because he's just so sweet. with my experience running Windows 10 on a more low-end machine, Windows 10 likes to stutter and has weird memory usage sometimes, yet I haven't had any problem running osu! or any other game for that matter.

Please also check if your PC doesn't need a good cleaning. Dust filled PCs can run pretty toasty and hardware when it runs toasty can underperform.