forum

[resolved] Program error for MacOS

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
nothiing
Problem details: I've been dealing with this problem for a couple of days now, and I can't figure out how to resolve it. I've been getting these random program errors, mostly when playing multiplayer but occurs in singleplayer as well, ever since I've updated osu! recently. It causes the game to freeze entirely and won't let me continue playing until I restart the program only for it to give me another error at random times. I've tried researching stuff myself to fix the issue, but nothing has solved it yet. Can anyone help me out?

Video or screenshot showing the problem: https://gyazo.com/e293f5126ec01ed3fda3a98959dd106d

osu! version: Stable 20200704 (latest)
Death
Which mac release are you using? (i.e Where did you download the game from?)
Topic Starter
nothiing

Death wrote:

Which mac release are you using? (i.e Where did you download the game from?)
The version of macOS I'm using is High Sierra (10.13.6) and where I've downloaded osu! was from this forums thread: community/forums/topics/682197

From that thread, I've downloaded the game from this link: https://mega.nz/#!RgURDYQA!phZuRHSqem4T2VpgwAzmrHVk1G4I2FhkeIQ9asiq1zw

Should I try the other downloads listed? I don't know what the differences are
Death
You can try the other downloads, though I'm not really sure what the issue is so I can't say if they will actually help. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try though.

It's possible that something useful was logged in your runtime.log file. I believe if you download and run the troubleshooting tool linked in that thread, community/forums/topics/1036678 (also created by the same person), it can automatically grab the file for you (or at least display any error messages inside it).

If you don't want to use that though, right after the game crashes but before restarting, right click on osu!, hit Show Package Contents, and then navigate to drive_c > osu! > Logs, and the runtime.log file should be in there.
Topic Starter
nothiing
I've been researching and learning wineskin so I could try a few things there beforehand. I've been tweaking some settings and it seems to be working without any program errors as of right now.

If it resumes to give me problems, I'll try your methods above.

Thank you for the help!
Death
Is there anything specific you changed that you can mention so we know for future reference if someone is having the same issue?

I'll mark this resolved for now. Feel free to post here again if you start getting errors again.
Topic Starter
nothiing
My apologies for responding late.

I went into the package contents in osu! and opened wineskin, went to advanced, then changed the wineskin engine version from WS9WineStaging2.12 to WS9Wine2.12 by going to tools and clicking "change engine used" in the wrapper tools section. So far it hasn't been giving me any problems yet. I don't know exactly why it worked, but as long as it's working then that's where I'm content.