forum

[Taiko] Change wording for "patterns on snaps faster than"

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Cychloryn
Consider the following Futsuu rule:

Patterns on snaps faster than 1/3 are disallowed. These patterns are too complex for beginner players.
There are two possible interpretations of this:
1. If you have any notes snapped to a blue tick (etc.), then the pattern is unrankable
2. You can have notes snapped to a blue tick, as long as it doesn't consist of consecutive 1/4 notes (i.e. 1/4 patterns)

To me, this rule sounds like it implies (1), but it seems the generally accepted interpretation is (2).
(for example: http://put.nu/files/ZSQ3yfE.png )

I propose changing the wording to something more consistent with (2), such as:
Note snappings of consecutive 1/4 and above must not be used. These patterns are too complex for beginner players.
(Based off the wording of the Mania RC, as pointed out by McEndu)
McEndu

Mania RC for Normal wrote:

Note snappings of consecutive 1/6 and above should not be used. Slower rhythms are more appropriate for this difficulty level.
This is the wording used in the Mania RC, for reference. I think this makes stuff pretty clear and is not open to multiple interpretations.
Topic Starter
Cychloryn

McEndu wrote:

This is the wording used in the Mania RC, for reference. I think this makes stuff pretty clear and is not open to multiple interpretations.
Yeah this is much better, thanks for pointing that out
Roger
I agree with the proposal. I saw many cases where new mapper/modder (or even a bit experienced mapper) interpreted the rule wrongly, resulting on false mods hence may degrade the quality of the map itself.

Just for example (no offense to the mod poster), here is one mod that wrongly interpreted of aforementioned rules: Case.

I think you can change the wording from "should not" to "must not" as this is regarding Rule, not guideline as mania.
Topic Starter
Cychloryn
Yeah I've definitely seen several modders make this mistake, including myself

Roger wrote:

I think you can change the wording from "should not" to "must not" as this is
regarding Rule, not guideline as mania.
Yes, changed in original post.
clayton
"snap" is a misleading word in general here, you're talking about the time between notes and not much to do with whatever they're snapped to. does this sound ok https://github.com/ppy/osu-wiki/pull/3864/files#diff-178b1a51c2d722219c577b4bc98f0776
Topic Starter
Cychloryn
That sounds pretty reasonable to me
pishifat
merged