forum

Clearing stars when the topic changes considerably

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
TheVileOne
I don't think it's fair to keep stars people threw when the topic holder changes the topic after it has changed. I suggest a policy that would allowed star clearing for such topics, because users did not vote for the suggestion in its altered form. (I think it would be better if it did not waste the stars, but returned them to the user).

This would prevent feature abuse.
Saten
Usually when it changes, it changes to something much better. And still related to the previous suggestion.
James2250

Saten wrote:

Usually when it changes, it changes to something much better. And still related to the previous suggestion.
I agree with this.

If they happen to change it to something 'completely' unrelated to the original idea (I really don't think this happens very often, you may be able to find 1 or 2 examples but not much else) then the OP should be told to make a separate topic or a moderator can just be called.
MillhioreF
Someone did this with a map once, totally switching everything out to get past the pending limit while keeping priority stars. It got nuked on sight, so I don't see why we shouldn't do this with radically changed feature requests too.
Saten
There are way more beatmap topics than feature requests.

And swapping songs while in pending are more common than swapping a feature request to something else that isn't related to the original idea.

Beatmaps below +12 SP cannot be bubbled/ranked.
A feature request with +0 can be implemented.
Topic Starter
TheVileOne
It would additionally useful if mods had the ability to return stars though. It prevents abuse if abuse ever happened, but it would also allow things like returning stars back if needed. I feel mods should have this ability reserved. (So as to give stars back to people who voted for an idea that was denied for its complexity, and not because it was a bad idea).

Just because it hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean it wont happen. I made this thread because of the restructuring of the CTB auto idea thread. The OP literally rewrote the entire idea and changed it's entire function and it has +50, if i had stars and voted for idea 1, I might not have been such an avid supporter of idea 2. Idea makers shouldn't have the luxury of drastically changing their thread's scope, while retaining the thread's priority, because the new idea hasn't been thoroughly considered before the stars were thrown.

If this idea were implemented, it would be fair to only allow it for current ideas. Idea that may have already have been altered before implementation would be exempt from this policy.
Drafura

I hesitate between :
- Asking to all people wich star'd the thread if they want their star back.
- Asking to get my req nuked to clear the stars and get finally rid of you.
- Making a new feature request wich consist on automatically ban people saying nonsense on serious threads especially if their nick is TheVileOne. I hope you'll star it, I promise I'll never change any words on it.
MillhioreF
The important thing to remember about the CTB thread in the example is that the topic did NOT change considerably.
All that happened was one of the two ideas in the OP was invalidated, the other was still there. The important part here is that there was only a removal. There were two ideas in the OP, and people who starred showed their support for both. One was invalidated, so the support still remains for the other.
Sure, the thread title changed considerably, but if someone puts their stars in a request after just reading the title then they obviously aren't wise spenders anyway and don't deserve a refund.
Topic Starter
TheVileOne
I agree, it wasn't a super huge difference, but it inspired this none the less, because it made me actually have to rethink whether I wanted to support the idea after it had changed to the degree that it did. I still do, because it's a good idea, but I think the user should be able to decide whether to get a star refund when the idea changes even so far as drafura changed his OP. So on top of being able to return all the stars back, we should have the ability to return stars individually in the case the topic changes scope or the core idea changes. Users could come to us and ask for a refund and if we can determine the scope of a thread has changed then the refund would be allowed.

Drafura, I'm not trying to destar your thread, I just want users to be able to get their stars back if they no longer support the core idea after the OP changes it.
Saten
Still..
There were 2 ideas, but the main point was to improve the mapping/modding in ctb.

Are you going to clear all the stars even if the suggestion is still remains helpful?

And refunding some is just not worth it