forum

[proposal] background rules should be a bit more lenient

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Dialect
imo i don't really get the rules behind backgrounds. with momoiro typhoon, i genuinely do not get why everyone got their tits all up in a bunch because 3 girls FROM THE ANIME were in a swimsuit, yet this bg of a girl in lingerie gets ranked AFTER the momoiro typhoon situation happens. i don't know why everyone cares about bgs, considering 99% of players have their dim on 95 - 100%.

i do understand some rules, like no sexual bgs of lolis because countries have different rules, but other rules, like the background rule, shouldn't apply. i don't know how to reword it exactly tho, so i just want to hear others thoughts on it.
LowAccuracySS
-1 maybe just don't be a degen in general regarding bgs? the rules are already more than lenient for this
clayton
the disparity in action between the two maps u mention is probably more to do with whoever checked it and not the rules themselves. imo the rules are in a fine state rn and I don't think osu! should have rly sexual content at all without some kind of warning

also even if you dim bg for play you still see it on song select and the website etc
ConsumerOfBean
osu! is a PG game. if you wouldn't want your parents seeing you looking at it, then it's probably not suitable for the game, and honestly, that's how it should stay.

as clayton mentioned, the only reason the mentioned example wasn't complained about is likely just that no one cared enough to make a point about it, because it's pretty far into the grey zone of the current Visual Content Considerations help/wiki/Rules/Visual_Content_Considerations
Annabel
actually reading through what constitutes something as not appropriate would be better than just thinking, "anime girl in swimsuit = bad" the key difference between my map's bg and the one you are referencing is that in the other one the focus on their chests was just too out there to be ignored / considered suitable for a pg audience. how things are presented matter, and there's a reason why there's multiple different things to check for when thinking something is inappropriate. the rules are mostly fine, making them even more lenient would allow for sketchier things to be pushed through, which isn't really good for the general demographic this game is oriented towards.
Topic Starter
Dialect

eiri- wrote:

actually reading through what constitutes something as not appropriate would be better than just thinking, "anime girl in swimsuit = bad" the key difference between my map's bg and the one you are referencing is that in the other one the focus on their chests was just too out there to be ignored / considered suitable for a pg audience. how things are presented matter, and there's a reason why there's multiple different things to check for when thinking something is inappropriate. the rules are mostly fine, making them even more lenient would allow for sketchier things to be pushed through, which isn't really good for the general demographic this game is oriented towards.
hm i see.. i personally still don't get why everyone wanted to make a huge deal out of net0's map. and now looking at it, if bg rules were a bit more lenient, then someone out of their mind can take a nsfw bg from an eroge like nekopara, then they can get it ranked using the excuse that the song is from nekopara. i mean, i personally want people to just like, not care about bgs at all, because i don't see why you're supposed to care, but we do.
pishifat
i think osu's rules on bg content are as clear as they're gonna get, and making them more lenient is not on the todo list because of the game's intended audience

that + what others have said in resposne to the proposal makes me think this should be archived