forum

Ludum Dare 25

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Aqo
Ludum Dare 25 - December 14th

So, who's in?

I haven't participated since LD22 but this time it's time to get SRS. Gonna brush up my OpenGL and C++ knowledge and try to put something real decent together for once.

Who else is planning to participate? What are you going to use? get hype~

---

for people who are reading this and have absolutely no clue what they're reading, here:

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/
awp
I've been tempted to do game jams. I did a one-day game dev binge once.

I took the concept and art assets of Wolf Puncher 2 from Max Gilardi's trotcon cartoon and designed/coded it over the course of the next 8 and a half hours. It was pretty fun

EDIT: Moved to Video Games because that's what it is.

If I do participate I'll more than likely be using XNA. Lets me get something up and running within an hour.
Blue Stig
Very interesting.

I've been thinking about getting into game development.
I don't know much programming yet though. Only know very basic Java and OOP.
Also a slow programmer.

I'm gonna check the live-streams when the time comes around to see how the pros do it.
awp

Blue Stig wrote:

I'm gonna check the live-streams when the time comes around to see how the pros do it.
I'm not a pro by any means, but I know how they do it.

They do it.

That's all there is to it. Just sit down, and do it. The more you try, the more you fail. The more you fail, the more you learn. The more you learn, the more you succeed.
Xgor
Seems fun. Considering that I'm started with game designing not too long ago this could be really fun.

I only really know Game maker well enough to make a game so I'll use that.
awp
okay not only will I be doing this, I will apparently be livestreaming it at twitch.tv/awppy
Xgor
So here was my progress for the first day... Man did I lose a lot of time due to me changing the direction of the game 3-4 hours in

Edit: here is day 2 and link to it's page on ludum dare.

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-da ... &uid=18652
awp
Clawsmash
I seriously do not understand any conidg at all, but i'm a semi-writer and i can help with a storyline?
maybe?
Xgor

Clawsmash wrote:

I seriously do not understand any conidg at all, but i'm a semi-writer and i can help with a storyline?
maybe?
I'd say the story is the last thing you want to focus on when you have such little time, also you make everything yourself in Ludum dare unless you play the jam.

also awp, really liked the visuals and story in the game... Kinda got repitive quick though.
awp

Xgor wrote:

also awp, really liked the visuals and story in the game... Kinda got repitive quick though.
yeah, 7PM Sunday I had just finished the engine. The second and third stage were done in an hour, which is why everything is just pallet-swapped lol

EDIT: I've played a few LD25 games so far, and I'll be posting my recommendations here, starting with

Earthmageddon: fly a ufo around and destroy a regenerating Earth. Other ships will try to kill you
Royal Reptile Rampage: You're a dragon rampaging through a countryside, eating cows, trampling villages, burning people, smashing catapults and castles and stuff. It's a side-scroller with a nice, bright aesthetic
Escape from Prison Planet: It's a space shmup. For a 48-hour game, it's really well done.

Conquering Oneself: a Puzzle/RPG. It's like a typical RPG but with some pattern memorization involved. Seriously give this game a try, it has a brilliant concept, emergent gameplay, and an entire soundtrack. It's brilliant, not just for a game made in 48 hours, no less.

the BRINK: you run around and have to break orbs to unlock the red orb. Break the red orb to end the level. 3 levels. You're invincible, but enemies are designed to slow you down. When the clock reaches 0, a medical doctor appears and tries to catch you. If he catches you, you lose. Try to avoid spoilers, because the ending of this one put the entire game (background design and all) into perspective and had quite a punch.
Xgor
I guess I could post my recommendations too.

Super Generic Princess Saver: Really pretty game that plays great and works with the theme great, somewhat simplistic but it works.
Villain OS 8: Short but just the way the game works is hilarious and enjoyable.
Crunch Crunch Boom:Quite an additing game that plays great. Kinda reminds me of a lot of smartphone games but without trying to suck you out of all of your irl money

Lumberjack: Dosn't fit the theme that well and no audio but damn is this a fun game, quite a lot of levels too. kinda poorly explained but really fun.

Also Conquering Oneself was great.. I wish the aesthetics was better though. A @ is just not... fitting for a demon lord
Xgor
http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-da ... &uid=18652
#28 in Innovation, #103 in theme and #200 in Overall.... That's pretty damn awesome for being my first time :D
awp
grats on the innovation

Mine came out pretty well also