forum

Rules that are not often followed?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Primula_old
These two rules often bother me because there are many ranked maps (more recent ones too) that do not follow them:
  1. Combo colors must not blend in with the map's background/storyboard/video.
  2. You must use hitsounds.
I often find myself playing maps as if I have HD mod enabled yet that not being the case.
It may seem pretty/artistic to have your combo colours use the same theme as your map background but it's not easy to follow.

Here's an example: http://osu.ppy.sh/s/14978
http://i3.minus.com/ibzHkPf9A07aPm.png
(The main palette of the background is brown-ish and the combo colours are all shades of brown.)

A more recent example: http://osu.ppy.sh/b/188904
(Use of blue-ish colours on a heavy-blue background)

I know it's possible to disable the skin and use your own defined combo colours now but that requires you to playthrough the map once.and it shouldn't be necessary with this rule in place.

And here's an example of a map I feel is much easier to read due to the use of the colours: http://osu.ppy.sh/b/181827
(Using colours which very much contrasts with the background rather than blending)

Unfortunately however, it disobeys the other rule - no use of hitsounds at all.
Though the lack of hitsounds doesn't bother me as much as the combo colours as long as all notes follow the beat well.
Sakura
They should be followed, but if it isn't then say something in the thread so other BATs can look at it and unrank for fixes if necessary, this unfortunately isn't possible with your first example as it was ranked 2 years ago.
Stefan
-GN
This is something that annoys me to no end when playing maps with AR10 or is generally pretty fast-paced. While having circles with the same color as the background is nice to look at in the editor, and to an extent while playing, faster maps should have circles with a good contrast to the background as to make players' peripheral vision work like it's actually supposed to. Having the circles substantially brighter, or even darker than the background is a great way to make the circles stand out in-game.

I think this should be enforced more strictly by the staff - good readability is important for a map to be enjoyable.

@Stefan: taking a screenshot in the editor doesn't really say much about its readability in-game.
Stefan

-GN wrote:

@Stefan: taking a screenshot in the editor doesn't really say much about its readability in-game.
Well, it actually does. No matter if Editor or real Playing, you can clearly see that the Colour aren't really the same and blends. If people got this Feeling, there's an option called "Fun Spoiler".
[Dellirium]

Stefan wrote:

there's an option called "Fun Spoiler".
Ofc they can use it. But the topic is about the rules. I think they can be moved to guidelines because of this "Fun Spoiler" thing.
Sakura

Stefan wrote:

-GN wrote:

Well, it actually does. No matter if Editor or real Playing, you can clearly see that the Colour aren't really the same and blends. If people got this Feeling, there's an option called "Fun Spoiler".
The thing is that players should NOT need to rely on fun spoiler settings to be able to pass a map, although from your screenshot the colors dont seem that bad to me.
Stefan
I mean yeah, the turquoise is pretty similar to Miku's Hair colour, but this (as example) is no reason to change the Colour.

[Dellirium] wrote:

Stefan wrote:

there's an option called "Fun Spoiler".
Ofc they can use it. But the topic is about the rules. I think they can be moved to guidelines because of this "Fun Spoiler" thing.
I know right, but in case if someone can't outstand the Combo Colour because it blends from its opinion, the Fun Spoiler is a good alternative.
And if there's many people which complains about the Combo Colours, there must be something on this.
TheVileOne
The BATs practically let mappers break rules because "it's their style. Example: Anything from AngelHoney. Apparently if you add 4 finishes in a map it's considered perfectly rankable. http://osu.ppy.sh/s/28751 I played this the other day, and I couldn't find the beat at all, the spacing in Hard is often inconsistent, and the players have t deal with reading the inconsistency with no hitsound cues at all. The whole mapset, no hitsound cues, but nope the BATs wanted to rank it anyways.

It's a garbage map overall IMO and it should have never have been ranked. The only reason people like it is the last map is AR 10.
Mithos
I've seen a lot of maps with very quiet/no hitsounds that have been ranked. It's troublesome because even though some people play better without hitsounds, they are a part of the map (my favorite) and they help sightreading. Almost the same goes for the hitcolours.

We really need to stop the "Oh it's ok it's ______'s style" type modding. Styles and mapping elements that cannot usually get ranked get approved instead, where they are enjoyed by people there. I could make my style "I like making jumps that are purposely hard to find" and try to get something ranked. If I made enough maps beforehand, modders wouldn't usually look past it