forum

Beatmap search sucks. [resolved]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Sea_Food
Hi! I was asked to make this thread.

If you go to osuwebsite->beatmaps->enter search queries->search, you get mostly just songs you was not searching for.

Here is an example:

I searched soulja boy, but instead got maps that have nothing to do with soulja boy.
Many of the maps dont have the word soulja or neither boy in the title, artist or beatmap creator. Some of the maps although had a tag called "h-boy". I tried googling "h-boy" but got no results that i would imagine are related. Dont know what is that all about

Not untill the second page out of two pages i got the first songs made by the artist soulja boy.
How retarded is that? Shouldnt they be the first results the search gives? How does it make sense that maps that have "h-boy" in the tags are listed before those.

You know what makes even less sense? I did the same exact search in osu!droid. All of soulja boy beatmaps were listed first nicely.

Yes i know how quotation marks work but fuck that shit.
Marcin
Just use "soulja boy" Is it that hard?
Plain soulja boy will search for "soulja" and "boy" independently if they both exist in one map.
"soulja boy" - Makes look for EXACT sentence.
theowest
it works must like google search with the ""s, like Marcin demonstrated
TheVileOne
Marcin, that may be true, but the results are misleading and incorrect even if the search term is not proper. It is the responsibility of the programmer/web designer to prevent user error and in this case it is very easy to commit user error and search engines cover this by displaying terms with both results as highest priority. It should sort the songs by relevance by default. It may take slightly longer to search, but overall searching would be more accurate.

I would also like to point out that enclosing terms in quotes will return only results that have that exact word in it. It would work in most cases, but BAt/modders tell people to omit two letter characters from their tags, which would prevent quotes from working for tags with two characters within them. In that case, the &/and should work. One must accept though that not everyone might know of these shortcuts, and it would be more helpful to include a checkbox for such things as "Find all terms". If you don't then there will always be people not understanding why they gets lots of random results, because they include a common term in their search.

At least somewhere should be a quick how to use the forums if you can't group terms and display them by relevance.
Marcin
I know what you mean.
IMO The best could be if search engine could firstly look for EXACT sentence, and show them in first place, then look for similar results.
jemhuntr
TheVileOne
^ Yeah this is better as a feature request than a tech support issue. It is intended behavior to return first terms in the set rather than search by relevance. Marking invalid.
awp
it would also be nice to specify the criteria of the search terms.

"soulja boy" search for: Artist / Song Title / Mapper / Tag
theowest

awp wrote:

it would also be nice to specify the criteria of the search terms.

"soulja boy" search for: Artist / Song Title / Mapper / Tag
go make a feature request for that
we need more awp requests
awp
oh fuck I thought this WAS a Feature request lol
peppy
Should be improved now. Was a bug with default sort order.
XPJ38
Yeah, it's better now.

Just a little suggestion, don't you think that beatmaps with occurrences of the search query in the song title and song artist (and only these) should be favoured and listed first?

What I mean is that when searching for maps containing "tomboyish" for example, maps with "tomboyish" in the song title should come first. Currently, they are sorted by ranking date; the first listed map does not have any relation with "tomboyish" at first glance and when I did the search I wondered why it was listed (in fact, "tomboyish" is a tag here).

peppy
It's only based on date because it equally ranks in search relevance (see tags):
XPJ38
I know, but my suggestion is to give less weight to tags (or more weight to song title and song artist). Because it might not be obvious for a user that Overwrite to Ingenuousness has something to do with "tomboyish", since tags do not appear in search results.

(because this is probably not the place to discuss on something like this, if needed, I can create a new thread in Feature Requets for this)