forum

Is the Osu! stable client open-source?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Shirou1337_DELETED
When I go to peppy's Github I only find the Osu!Lazer source code for the game, however, I want to compile the stable client from Scratch. Is there any way to do this?
[LS]PositoniX
stable isnt open source, but lazer is going to become stable eventually
Topic Starter
Shirou1337_DELETED

PositoniX wrote:

stable isnt open source, but lazer is going to become stable eventually
What reason does Peppy have to be closed-source? Was the stable client Open-source in the past?
I trust Osu! 100% to be a privacy-respecting game because it's not owned by a company, doesn't run any sponsorships or advertisements and allows contribution from the community but it's a little bit disappointing to not be able to go through the source code.
abraker
osu stable's code is a mess and there are things in there ppy doesn't want to release

Shirou1337 wrote:

I trust Osu! 100% to be a privacy-respecting game because it's not owned by a company
This is where you are wrong. The stable code is owned by ppy, and the assets in stable and lazer are too.
Topic Starter
Shirou1337_DELETED

abraker wrote:

osu stable's code is a mess and there are things in there ppy doesn't want to release

Yeah I read that before on this post on Reddit, https://www.reddit.com/r/osugame/comments/3vyi7h/how_osu_voilates_your_privacy/, but it seems like the goal of the actions they undertook were necessary to detect cheating.

This is where you are wrong. The stable code is owned by ppy, and the assets in stable and lazer are too.
With ppy is not a "company" I was referring to the quote on their site that said that Osu! was a hobby project and not a commercial project. I know that they're not 100% free as in freedom but I went through the privacy policy and it was pretty easy to understand and clear compared to something like Google's privacy policy.

At the end of the day I think that it's really hard for free games to exist and that ppy releasing Osu!Lazer on Github is already a big step in the good direction.