forum

[Mania Guideline] Chord usage at 1/4 Pattern in Normal Difficulties

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Feerum
Currently we have following guideline:

>Avoid using chords during consecutive 1/4 note patterns. However, using a chord to end a pattern is fine.

Overall, this guideline is alright as it is. However, there is one problem with it. It does not allow the usage of chords at the beginning of the pattern. I noticed that it still happens in Normals which got ranked in the past weeks. I also think that having a chord at the beginning is not a problem at all. Therefore i suggest to change it to following:

>Avoid using chords during consecutive 1/4 note patterns. However, using a chord at the beginning or end of the pattern is fine.

The important part here is the "or". I still think especially when the 1/4 are only 3 notes long, that having them begin and end with a chord would be too much for a normal. I prepared some screenshots to show what i mean:

This gives a bit more freedom without increasing the difficulty of normals too much.

Addition: Chords in the middle of the 1/4 pattern will be still disallowed according to the wording of the guideline and this is intended.
Topic Starter
Feerum
2nd post because BNs made another Proposal to this:

We would like to do that in Easy difficulties too

>Avoid using chords during consecutive 1/2 note patterns. However, using a chord to end a pattern is fine.

to

>Avoid using chords during consecutive 1/2 note patterns. However, using a chord at the beginning or end of the pattern is fine.
FAMoss
Pretty good the suggestion, I had same idea moment ago. Somehow this can be corrected by using chord in beginning consecutive notes, "It should not being jack 1/2". Sorry I have no image to explain, but the jack here I mean is twisted the notes usage 121 or 434 on 4K might probably physical hard to handling on Normal.

Goes similar to Easy notes usage.
Oscyy

FAMoss wrote:

Pretty good the suggestion, I had same idea moment ago. Somehow this can be corrected by using chord in beginning consecutive notes, "It should not being jack 1/2". Sorry I have no image to explain, but the jack here I mean is twisted the notes usage 121 or 434 on 4K might probably physical hard to handling on Normal.

I agree with this addition.

For normal:
Notes withing 1/4 streams should be more than 1/2 beats apart on each column.

For Easy
Notes withing 1/2 streams should be more than 1/1 beat apart on each column.

I'm not good with words myself but i think the wording would be close to that.
Scotty
yeah i think it should be fine to have chords at the beginning of 1/2 or 1/4 patterns in easy and normal

FAMoss wrote:

i don't really think this is relevant to the guideline currently being discussed but personally i disagree with this. as long as they're isolated enough short trill patterns should be acceptable and this would be really limiting when it comes to representing similar pitches.
FAMoss

Scotty wrote:

yeah i think it should be fine to have chords at the beginning of 1/2 or 1/4 patterns in easy and normal

FAMoss wrote:

i don't really think this is relevant to the guideline currently being discussed but personally i disagree with this. as long as they're isolated enough short trill patterns should be acceptable and this woul stillreally limiting when it comes to representing similar pitches.
seems good

is this discussion still active?
pishifat