forum

Feedback on WIP Map

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ShOOkk -eth
I'm a beginner mapper and I just finished mapping the intro for an insane diff of a map I recently started, https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/1181042#osu/2462560. I wasn't sure whether I should post this in a modding queue since the map isn't actually finished yet. I'm hoping that I can get some feedback here before I map the chorus.

Thanks in advance!
IllusionB
Heyo!

So (most of) those modding queues are for maps that are complete and ready to be modded, that means you've mapped to the end, hitsounded it, and it abides to the ranking criteria (or well you tried to at least lol).

For a beginner mapper, I wouldn't recommend shooting for ranked just yet, as there are a metric tonnnnne of concepts and mechanics that you have yet to learn and understand. Go check out ALL of pishi's vids to learn basic concepts and soak up as much info as you can: https://www.youtube.com/user/Pishifat His vids should teach you the basics and give you your power tools and wooden planks you need to build your house, erm, map actually.

But I'd also like to say that you cannot learn solely from pishi's vids. A lot of your knowledge is built off of seeking out mappers who know what they are doing and learning off of their experience by asking questions. That can only come out of your determination and drive to get better. (You can dm me anytime btw :3)

tl;dr:

Apply concepts in phishi's vids to your map and learn from your mistakes, thats the best way to grow. period. Seek out people for help via discord and pm too, most of the mapping community is friendly and would be happy to point you in the right direction
Topic Starter
ShOOkk -eth
I'm definitely not going for ranked right now. Currently, I'm just focused on improvement and actually getting decent at mapping.

Pishi's videos are actually how I started getting into mapping. It's been a while since I've re-watched them though. Knowing the fundamentals and putting them into practice are two different things. The way I've gone about it since then is just mapping more and also analyzing maps I like in the editor. I'd say that I've definitely improved from where I originally started, but I still don't know whether I've got the fundamentals down, which is why I'm looking for feedback.

I'll usually look for feedback in #modhelp, but most of the time, it's empty (nobody talking). I don't know if that's normal or not.
IllusionB
You're definitely going in the right direction, analyzing maps is another great way to learn things like new patterns and techniques. And yeah #modhelp is sorta useless, you're much better off dming people and making connections and learning mapping that way.

you'll eventually have all of these realizations and get a better feel for knowing if what you are doing is right, and that comes from experience and just mapping more. It won't happen right away ofc. I mapped songs by creating new diffs of mapsets I already had downloaded and compared my map with the ranked map to guide me, which is a nice way to practice.
Asphiee

ShOOkk -eth wrote:

I'm definitely not going for ranked right now. Currently, I'm just focused on improvement and actually getting decent at mapping.

Pishi's videos are actually how I started getting into mapping. It's been a while since I've re-watched them though. Knowing the fundamentals and putting them into practice are two different things. The way I've gone about it since then is just mapping more and also analyzing maps I like in the editor. I'd say that I've definitely improved from where I originally started, but I still don't know whether I've got the fundamentals down, which is why I'm looking for feedback.

I'll usually look for feedback in #modhelp, but most of the time, it's empty (nobody talking). I don't know if that's normal or not.
good job,