forum

[Proposal-mania] Remove "own spread per key-mode" rule

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
McEndu

osu!mania Ranking Criteria wrote:

Each key mode in a beatmap set requires its own spread. For example, a 4 key beatmap would require its own Normal/Hard/Insane in order to create a proper spread, independent of any other key modes present in the beatmap set.
With a probably recent change to the RC, this rule is already covered by other rules in the RC for all modes. In its current form, this rule is rendered redundant the following entry:

Beatmapset Ranking Criteria wrote:

All game modes within a beatmapset must form a spread starting from the lowest difficulty level dictated by the song's drain time. For difficulties above the lowest required difficulty level, the spread cannot skip any difficulty levels and there cannot be any drastically large difficulty gaps between any two difficulties.
A note above the rules of general RC makes it more clear:

Beatmapset Ranking Criteria wrote:

Note: Each of osu!mania's key counts are considered individual game modes throughout this section.
Since each of the key counts of mania are considered individual game modes, the entry from general RC already implies that each key mode requires their own spread. Therefore, the mania RC rule is redundant, and can be removed.
Unpredictable
makes sense to me, pretty straightforward as well. seems good.
Roasted Chicken
I don't think removing it is necessary and it honestly might be better to keep it, since the 2 entries are on different pages (main RC page regarding all modes and the specific mania page). It would make sense that a mania specific rule is also on the mania page, regardless of it being on the general RC page.
Scotty
personally feel mostly neutral towards this, though i think the version of this rule on the mania RC page spells it out a lot better compared to on the general RC page where the user has to read the note (which doesn't seem too hard to miss) then piece it together when coming across the only relevant rule which is several rules away underneath it.

i think removing the redundancy is fine as long as the rule remaining is clearly stated. maybe something like moving the rule from the mania RC to the general RC and removing the note.
pishifat
we can remove the redundancy and move the "each mode must have a full spread" rule to the top of the section, so it's easier to associate with the note

https://github.com/ppy/osu-wiki/pull/3608
pishifat
merged