forum

[mapper game] laugh about our first maps. (or at least the earliest map of yours you can find)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Chiru-kun
so i remembered back when i started mapping 2 years ago. and i redownloaded it, it sucks of course.

now for those who have been absorbed in the mapping scene for quite a while now:
everyone hates their first map (unless you're just starting out, you'll think your first map is genius of course). and surely, we all have grown from those old, bad concepts. so lets try to comprehend it.

also by the way, this should be fine, right? i saw a recent mapper game like this.

post the following information regarding your first map:
  1. URL link
  2. the "concept" used in making the map. for a first map, this would obviously be underdeveloped. but share what you focused on, or what went through your mind when you were making this map.
  3. any similarities to your current mapping style? what stood out in your first map that still stands out in your maps today? or a common thought that goes through your head when you make maps?
write as much as you want! if you feel you'll be writing a lot, spoilerbox it.
you don't need to read other's posts. that will be up to you. just respect other posts.

let's limit ourselves to these three points. other things like how much we have grown or how much do we hate it aren't really worth talking about since it's obvious to us personally, and it's not worth reflecting on. i mean, how many times have we already cursed our old maps, saying we'll improve? anyway you get the point.

okay let me start. and only i will put this on a spoiler box to keep the post clean. don't want crampedness.
1. beatmapsets/761400

2. for those who have watched the anime to this opening, you will know that the two main characters are drastically different. one has a very fast, outgoing and rose-colored personaliy, and the other has a very slow, grey-colored personality, to sum up.

so i took an image which through visuals obviously shows the pink and grey contrast of the two. and i divide song sections into map sections: to they grey-colored personality, a slow slider velocity. to the pink-colored personality, a fast slider velocity. and i map how the two blend together, and how the grey-colored person eventually surrenders to the pink-colored person, but with circles.

3. i think the most stand out point here is the use of a "gimmick," with quotes because i don't think many would call it as such. i am unable to be creative without a PERSONALLY set boundary.
let's differentiate this to a new mapper. a new mapper, or at least someone who has a grasp on mapping already, would map his patterns very freely. however, i can not bring myself to do such a thing.
i have tried, of course. but i could not bring myself to finish it. and i think a bit of the gimmickyness desire has been brought over to that map, even if they were merely segments of songs.

i remember making a personal verson of the osu!memories song. in every single song, i changed my mindset in how to map that segment. only did half of the entire song though (to genryuu kaiko)

i need to lay down in my mind my style for the map and limits to myself. i have four successful (or at least, 3 successful, 1 ongoing promising to finish) maps so far.

on the first, i tell myself to be tech-y (though it doesn't sound like a "gimmick," thus the quotation marks; actually the song itself is really unique so my boundaries on style are very pleasant to me).

the second, i tell myself to assign a sliderspeed to a slidershape of straight, curved, sharped and to use each in a way that highlights the combo of the slideshape and speed.

the third, AR5 to accomodate an imo interesting usage of kicksliders at chorus, and generally to play with AR5 and reading at all.

the fourth, play with curves and swing rhythm for an imo good, variant enough 1/6 song.

i tell myself all of these that "i will do THIS for the map" instead of mapping passively. but don't get me wrong, i tell my self to use THAT IDEA. but whatever happens in the song or how i map it specifically, i decide when the time comes. i only limit myself to a style.
it's the same thing that i did on my first map. i told myself the same thing. though now, i do it more properly, with actual thought on the boundary to make in relation to the song.

don't get me wrong, i don't like boundaries FORCED on ME.i have tried the genuinely interesting boundaries set by the monthly beatmapping contest; however, i cannot bring myself to make a map i am satisfied with so far.

it's fine to put any other personal comments about your first map or others' posts, given you must emphasize which are your answers and which are your comments to others.

have fun wiith this forum if you decide to ever join! if you're gonna ridicule someone, don't bother here. we've all had dour terrible first maps (unless you're a player who happened to stumble by). this is meant to be a light-hearted look on your own past.

thinking back now after writing, this might have been a form of self-gratification. but oh well. no one is forced to read our posts. at least, for me, i was happy putting down those thoughts in relation to my first map. i hope the same goes for you who will try writing also.
Zelzatter Zero
not my first submitted map (third, to be precise) but whatever:

beatmapsets/546922

About the top diff, since I didn't know how to disable Grid Snap and Distance Snap at that time, I decided to make patterns I can think of over it. That's the whole core concept in this map.

This have no relevance to my mapping style nowadays for sure.

Personal thoughts: I'm still really surprise at how I managed to execute them like that when I'm still new to mapping. The rhythm choice is pretty boring, just 1 1-2-3 1-2-3 4 5 cuz I couldn't think of anything creative to do with this song. It's just feels like a "high-quality" 2009 maps (yes I'm sarcastic) that would never met with 2016 standards.

*crying in the corner*
lewski
I wish I hadn't deleted all my maps in 2017

Luckily, my oldest available map is definitely something to laugh about, even if I had a year and a half of experience when I made it: Genryuu Kaiko cut to just the calm parts. Garbage usage of CS5, neatly overlapping sliderart, the same epic pseudo-ninja spinner as in HW's map of the song. How I map now is nowhere close to this, it looks like I didn't even have my obsession with pitch back then. I should try and find out when that started.
Dialect
my first map available

i never really watched pishi's videos until after this map, until then, i just spattered what looked good. this was about my 3rd or 4th map, and i personally liked the concept of going in a circle, so thats what i did. i surprisingly had a good grasp of the editor controls, and already knew the editor inside out. i just didn't know why i needed to use ctrl shift r lmao. it isn't even finished yet, but i'm planning on remapping this soon.

i don't think it has that much resemblance to my mapping style now. my mapping style now consists of overlaps, mostly curved sliders, and vertical jumps, compared to before when i just did whatever i could in the editor

and for some reason i had an obsession with 1.9 sv
abraker
beatmapsets/323308

I wanted to make a map to challange the best of mania players. Ya know, what noobs truly think is important in this game when mapping. I totally didn't know how to time the thing. I still don't, which is why I haven't tried remapping it. The beginning isn't sooooo bad, but there rest is uhhh... the description of the map is as naive as I could possibly get.

So the style is pretty much what I still do today. I start with easy begging and incrementally ramp it up toward the end. There is sumi-dump kinda style where I loosely follow sounds, but it less consistent than how I do it now. I mean it's consistent any one section, but not section-to-section. I also used highest snapping. I still tend to gravitate towards higher snapping, so I sometimes lower BPM to force prevent me from doing so. I always used to avoid tight jack patterns like the plague cause I thought they would be hard. I haven't made any maps yet that don't avoid jacks like that. I still focus on how I want to control the player's fingers as I kinda/slightly did then. I like how I used the LN in this one, and would prob reuse those patterns if I remap.

There are no similarities to current mapping style. None of the maps I make are. That's done on purpose. I explore what is done least of, not most of. Quirky patterns nobody sees is my thing... just not this kind of quirky spam, urgh.
Dialect

abraker wrote:

beatmapsets/323308

I wanted to make a map to challange the best of mania players. Ya know, what noobs truly think is important in this game when mapping. I totally didn't know how to time the thing. I still don't, which is why I haven't tried remapping it. The beginning isn't sooooo bad, but there rest is uhhh... the description of the map is as naive as I could possibly get.

So the style is pretty much what I still do today. I start with easy begging and incrementally ramp it up toward the end. There is sumi-dump kinda style where I loosely follow sounds, but it less consistent than how I do it now. I mean it's consistent any one section, but not section-to-section. I also used highest snapping. I still tend to gravitate towards higher snapping, so I sometimes lower BPM to force prevent me from doing so. I always used to avoid tight jack patterns like the plague cause I thought they would be hard. I haven't made any maps yet that don't avoid jacks like that. I still focus on how I want to control the player's fingers as I kinda/slightly did then. I like how I used the LN in this one, and would prob reuse those patterns if I remap.

There are no similarities to current mapping style. None of the maps I make are. That's done on purpose. I explore what is done least of, not most of. Quirky patterns nobody sees is my thing... just not this kind of quirky spam, urgh.

hmm well i'm starting to get into mapping the other gamemodes. i have the grasp of taiko and mania (a bit), but i'm still trying to figure out how to make a rankable ctb map
abraker

MinNin wrote:

hmm well i'm starting to get into mapping the other gamemodes. i have the grasp of taiko and mania (a bit), but i'm still trying to figure out how to make a rankable ctb map
Exercise caution

Asphiee

abraker wrote:

Watch your step.
Corne2Plum3
beatmapsets/1082396#osu/2264110

Just want a map for the song from the hardest official level geometry dash and I founded this in featured artist.
When I finished the map I played less than 30 days... Then this map sucks.
I made a normal diff, but the distance snap doesn't exist and some parts are shitmapped... With 6 month of play, I fail to FC this.
And I've added a hardcore diff (7.04*) but he sucks: circle are too small, are patterns is just some garbage and the gameplay is bad...
Fortunally at this moment I doesn't know the existance of modding queue...
DeletedUser_6709840
I do not have my first beatmaps of both modes I've mapped since they've been deleted... but I can compare my earliest maps of what's currently uploaded:

osu!catch
1. beatmapsets/476944#fruits/1018809
2. I had no concept, I literally put circles and sliders in editor and saw what happened. Idk how I got this ranked.
3. I wish I could remap it, tbh. I missed so many 1/3 rhythms and ranking criteria has changed since then that I could do so much more with the song.

osu!standard
1. beatmapsets/1172085#osu/2444679
2. Same song but full version of my first ranked map. I wanted to experiment with other game modes. I copied other mappers and tried to go with whatever flow I thought worked.
3. I'm still learning the mode but I think my mapping is getting better flow-wise.
Uniform
unrelated but when i made my first map i didnt know how to hitsound so i tried to copy them from another map of the same song... and somehow deleted my map.
Zelzatter Zero

Uniform wrote:

unrelated but when i made my first map i didnt know how to hitsound so i tried to copy them from another map of the same song... and somehow deleted my map.
That's why the OP also adds "or at least the earliest map of yours you can find". Not everyone has their first map you know
DeletedUser_13957006
this is pure garbage

it was my 1st map ever, like the same day i installed osu! i started messing with the editor and made this atrocity

i really don't know what the concept was or what i was trying to achieve but i remember that i wanted this to be a stream map

and this doesn't have any similarities with my current mapping style
Drxvmik
https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/711474#osu/1504014

it was 6 days after i joined the game, i still didnt know how to play the game properly, so i just clicked randomly where i felt the beat and when i was "setting" the bpm, i spammed the T key and thinkd its how everyone in this community times their maps... oh, i didnt even know about that! and yeah, it was horrible... :c

and my mapping style is not like that at all, because that was literal spamming circles to random places without even pressing C once

so yeah, that was my mapping in late 2017... and yeah it is not actually the song, because i just searched some cover idk so yeah, wrong metadata